• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 3Dfx curse is alive in Nvidia.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

Nvidia was once the top dog, now it's tripping over it's feet just to compete with ATI. ATI released the Radeon 9700 PRO in september and it was truely a Next generation card. Without question it was king. Last year was the first year that Nvidia didn't launch something the second Q2. The Geforce FX comes out 6 months late and it's in the same generation the Radeon 9700 PRO is. So it took Nvidia 7 more months than ATI to produce a similar class product. You would atleast expect this delayed card to be much faster than the Radeon 9700 Pro, it only makes sense. That you be the only reason why a company would miss a Second Quater Launch is because they have some amazing for us.. Unfortunatly this isn't the case. The Geforce FX is about 5% faster in SOME real world tests. WHAT!!! 6 months for this? Remember the card is running at 500/500, while the Radeon 9700 is running at 325/310... I mean that must say something right there. Lets just say for example that the R350 will be clocked at 400/800.. which is completely reasonable for a R350 (and probably be clocked high than that but anyway). Now the R350 is coming out within weeks of the Geforce FX release... The R350 will without question be a Geforce FX killer, yeah I said killer. I'd say about 15-20% faster than a Geforce FX. Did I mention the noise of the card? The GeforceFX is the loudest stock cooled card in the world.

I find it quite aronic that the first time Nvidia uses 3Dfx technology and adds part of it's name for their product. And now this is the first time Nvidia's product didn't live up to the hype, not to mention the card is clocked higher than Nvidia original hoped just to bring it up to ATI's performance. I think whether or not you are Nvidia fan, we have have to agree that the Geforce FX is a HUGE dissappoint ment esspecially to die hard Nvidia fan who hate ATI. Someone might say drivers, they're not mature yet... I don't think drivers can same the Geforce FX... They had 7 months longer than ATI... so excuses...

ok, someone posted that the GeforceFX will cost $599 and the person wrote "confirmed"... ok everyone this is NOT true so don't believe it.. Nvidia isn't that stupid..

Last edited:
Yeah I would have to say at this early stage the geforceFX is a tremendous disappointment. The review I read at anandtech pretty much said it all. With AA and AF turned on it falls behind in many tests! The R350 in all likelyhood will destroy the geforcefx although nvidia can make it interesting with new driver releases.

What I find really to be the biggest threat for nvidia though is the 9700pro in the months down the road when the r350 is released and the 9700pro price drowns down. Sub $200 is really a killer price range and if these early benches are any indication then the new budget cards from nvidia are going to have a real hard time competing...

I am a huge fan of nvidia, I really had planned to get the FX and move the 9700 to the older machine to replace my 4600 TI in it, after reading several reviews and Ed's( he is on the money on this one) I am simply going to buy nothing and buy dvd's or something. I refuse to have a video card louder then both of my computers combined.

The best "give it a chance" argument I've heard, is wait until some benchmarks using DX9 come out. Whats the ETA on 3DMark2K3? I'll reserve final judgement until then.

look nvidia is not going out of buisnees bc of the R300 or whatever its called. you of all ppl should know that there is ALWAYS a better card on the horizon! does anyone even know WHEN the R300 is coming out?

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
look nvidia is not going out of buisnees bc of the R300 or whatever its called. you of all ppl should know that there is ALWAYS a better card on the horizon! does anyone even know WHEN the R300 is coming out?

Actually the R300 came out last year In September. That's how adavanced ATI is... The R350 will be out within a few weeks of the GeforceFX release...

Gecedion said:
The best "give it a chance" argument I've heard, is wait until some benchmarks using DX9 come out. Whats the ETA on 3DMark2K3? I'll reserve final judgement until then.

That's the best "ignore it until next year" argument I've heard in a while. That's why I got what I did last week and I'm very happy. Sure, some Radeons beat my card but I paid $127.

Nevertheless, enthusiasts will, without a doubt, love the GeForceFX 5800 Ultra. It is a monster card! And it has a look that is similarly spectacular to the 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 at the time of its launch.

From Toms junkware-
I dont think they even realized they were predicting 3dfx doom on nvidia. LOL and "enthusiasts" certainly arent loving it by the posts at this forum :rolleyes:

Really, i dont think that Nvidia is doomed- they make the real $ off budget cards anyways.- But you gotta admit they put out a stinker. That thing sounds like jet taking off!- And from the looks if it it wont even oc (unlike the 9700)

nealric said:

From Toms junkware-
I dont think they even realized they were predicting 3dfx doom on nvidia. LOL and "enthusiasts" certainly arent loving it by the posts at this forum :rolleyes:

Head over to www.nvnews.com if u wanna see the real fanboys cry ;) hehe

Back