• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did AMD/ATI at sometime in the past take the gaming perf. crown from Nvidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD deliver at consumer price points who cares about he xx90 or Titan if it's the fastest card; who cares about Rolls Royce or Bentley; people look at a BMW 3 series or MB C Class or an Audi A4 and see the best deal for their money.

I pushed the boat on a 6900XT last winter but I would have been shopping around the £550 (price adjusted for inflation for an 3Dfx Voodoo 1 Orchid Righteous 3D + 2D card)...

It's not about delivering at the price points, and what does consumer price point mean anymore? People like mad buy-out RTX4090. These cards are 3x more expensive than top cards from 10 years ago. AMD simply can't deliver anything faster (so far), and Nvidia always beats it in one way or another. If they released something as fast as RTX4090 (overall, not only in some single games), then it would have 500W+ TDP (looking at the current technology level). Their 300W cards perform like 200W cards from Nvidia. It's a huge difference. Their performance in RT is 3 shelves below Nvidia.
I'm not on any side and as much as I wish to buy something from AMD, then their cards are always behind Nvidia. I hate Nvidia power connectors and ridiculous prices, but AMD adjusts its prices to Nvidia, so it's not cheap anymore. They have almost the same offer, just higher TDP and lower RT performance.
I know that barely anyone cares about RT (out of reviews and marketing), but at the same price, you can pick something with faster RT from Nvidia or something that isn't worth enabling RT from AMD.
Hopefully, AMD's 8k generation will give us something more efficient.

My research seems to indicate the GTX 780 (which I bought way back when to replace my AMD 6970) beat out AMD's best: the 7970 Ghz. edition.

This article even included 99 percentile frametimes (back in 2013, which surprised me):

https://www.techspot.com/review/675-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780/page3.html

Even more interesting was that the GTX 780 beat out all tested crossfire setups (incl. the 7990) in terms of 99th percentile frametimes.

7970GHz edition was competing against the GTX680 https://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-catching-up-to-gtx-680/19
Post magically merged:

It's not about delivering at the price points, and what does consumer price point mean anymore? People like mad buy-out RTX4090. These cards are 3x more expensive than top cards from 10 years ago. AMD simply can't deliver anything faster (so far), and Nvidia always beats it in one way or another. If they released something as fast as RTX4090 (overall, not only in some single games), then it would have 500W+ TDP (looking at the current technology level). Their 300W cards perform like 200W cards from Nvidia. It's a huge difference. Their performance in RT is 3 shelves below Nvidia.
I'm not on any side and as much as I wish to buy something from AMD, then their cards are always behind Nvidia. I hate Nvidia power connectors and ridiculous prices, but AMD adjusts its prices to Nvidia, so it's not cheap anymore. They have almost the same offer, just higher TDP and lower RT performance.
I know that barely anyone cares about RT (out of reviews and marketing), but at the same price, you can pick something with faster RT from Nvidia or something that isn't worth enabling RT from AMD.
Hopefully, AMD's 8k generation will give us something more efficient.
Of course it's about delivering at a certain price point. I got 40K to buy a car, no point in telling me a Royce is a better, when it's 10X in price!!! It's like that HiFI reviewer Sharur doing a review of £300 headphones and then trashing them. When you looked at the headphones he was comparing them against you noticed they cost £5K. To most people that an irrelevant comparison...

Last edited:
By digs, I meant you appear to shade NV for improper RT, but AMD does the same thing...........and AMD's performance when using it is even worse (their FSR implementation is also worse than DLSS). But, there are additional reasons as well (see Mack's post).

Well, 1000 series was released almost 8 years ago, and I can't remember the last time an Nforce chipset was used (2010ish?). So.... that speaks volumes on where you're coming from (dated).

What do you mean, their customers aren't happy? Nobody wants to pay AMD or NV prices for GPUs. Market share hasn't changed much in the dGPU market, with NV still dominating, even with higher pricing in some brackets (as was mentioned, it also depends on what you're comparing it to and if you manage to play only raster games). I'm not defending NV so much as I am saying apply the same logic to all parties involved. In this case, the RT argument applies to both parties and doesn't show NV (or AMD) in a negative light. It is what it is.
TBH if you look at the Steam Survey 3060 is about 6%, the 3080 highest placing 80 card is 2%, 4090 is less than 1%...TBH AMD GPU sales number in xBox will kill those numbers...

TBH if you look at the Steam Survey 3060 is about 6%, the 3080 highest placing 80 card is 2%, 4090 is less than 1%...TBH AMD GPU sales number in xBox will kill those numbers...
I don't know what you're saying... but it feels like cherry picking...... here's a full breakdown from Steam. My take away is the first AMD GPU on the list is an RX 580...over 20 GPUs down the list (not incl. integrated, of course). There are more RTX 4090 users than RX 6700XTs, bub!

RE: AMD sales numbers..... that's a CONSOLE and not part of the conversation. That said, AMD is, slowly, increasing market share. You're not wrong. But NV still dominated the discrete market.

I'd imagine about the only thing people are dissapointed in is pricing. Maybe some get off on the raster thing (and 2.9% on linux, lol). Just depends on what you're looking for and doing. But it's almost difficult to avoid RT in games (it's in consoles already) and the meager difference in raster doesn't sway me.

Of course it delivering at a certain price point. I got 40K to buy a car no point in telling me a Royce is a better, when it's 10X in price!!! It's like that HiFI reviewer Sharur doing a review of £300 headphones and then trashing them. When you looked at the headphones he was comparing them against you noticed they cost £5K. To most people that an irrelevant comparison...

If you compare prices, then AMD is not much cheaper than Nvidia right now. Still, Nvidia performs much better in RT and uses significantly less power. I have no idea what you compare. Have you seen what is in stores? RTX4070 costs not much more than RX7800XT; it still performs about the same in most games without RT, and with RT, it performs like RX7900XT, which is a more expensive and 100W higher card.

I look regularly. There are some odd months, but the Jan results seem in line with long term trends. The only current gen AMD GPU to have made the list is the 7900XTX at 0.34%. 4090 is on 0.93%. The recently released Supers are too new but all the older current gen NV make the list. It doesn't split out the 4060 Ti 16GB from the 8GB model. If current gen AMD GPUs are so great, where are they? I think the reality is that they only appeal to a vocal minority online, often leaning towards RT phobic.

If you bring consoles into it, Switch (team green) would destroy current gen XB and PS combined.

Radeon also has Radeon VR Immersion TM; really good in MS FlightSim the GPU fans ramp up to provide a propeller sound:) I'll give one thing to nVidia they run quieter...

Been playing The Last of Us Part 1 in ultra 1440, 6900XT stock + Freesync getting 55-90 fps. Might try the 6950XT OC settings; GPU utilisation is like 99%, and almost using all of 16GB RAM used, lots of room on the CPU though. Might grab another 16GB...

Last edited:
Radeon also has Radeon VR Immersion TM; really good in MS FlightSim the GPU fans ramp up to provide a propeller sound:)
That made me :rofl:

I haven't tried MSFS2020 with my VR gear yet, but I'll keep that 'feature' in mind when I do try it. lol

Radeon VR Immersion TM
@Haider - Is that the Radeon LiquidVR you're talking about from back in the day??? Google has no idea what Radeon VR Immersion is, lol. Please share a link or something. :)

Feel like I missed a bad joke or something, lol.

GPU utilisation is like 99%, and almost using all of 16GB RAM used, lots of room on the CPU though. Might grab another 16GB...
That's good... your GPU should be running 99% if it isn't limited in any way (vsync, isn't limited by 1080p/CPU bound res, etc). You don't want your CPU anywhere close to that, lol.

That made me :rofl:

I haven't tried MSFS2020 with my VR gear yet, but I'll keep that 'feature' in mind when I do try it. lol
Same.... but I wouldn't use that specific feature, lol.

Back