• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP3 encoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

does anyone have any idea how to use the LAME mp3 encoder? I downloaded some software called EAC (exact audio copy) that is supposed to work with LAME, but in its help file, it says to d/l the executable version of LAME, which I cant find. anyone know how to use this? I have d/l LAME 3.92 as well as 3.93....they just appear to be some dll files

Im using windows XP pro for an OS btw

Ok. I have follwed all the instructions, donwloaded and isntalled the LAME.EXE file in the EAC folder, downloaded an aspi layer (im an XP user) rebooted, restarted, reconfigured...and still no luck...during extraction my machine make 2 or 3 audible beeps (im assuming this is when LAME is supposed to be working). The .wav's come out fine....but it still wont make mp3's. Im using a TDK velo-cd, 1.4 ghz athlon, 512 mb of RAM, so I shouldnt have a problem...anyone have any ideas???

You might try http://www.dbpoweramp.com/.

It uses LAME for MP3 encoding, but you don't need to download it seperatly and everything is configured form withing the program.

I have been using it for a few years on various hardware and never had a problem. Also, you can download plugins for other codecs (i.e. WMA, OGG, etc) if you ever desire. And, on top of all that, it's free :).

I tried the dbpoweramp, works like a champ, too bad they want 14.95 to register it :( , guess Ill bve uninstalling it in 30 days......};)

If anyoneout there can help me with my eac dilemma, Id appreciate it, I hate it when something gets the best of me!

chittnp said:
I tried the dbpoweramp, works like a champ, too bad they want 14.95 to register it :( , guess Ill bve uninstalling it in 30 days......};)

If anyoneout there can help me with my eac dilemma, Id appreciate it, I hate it when something gets the best of me!

You obviously tried dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW), you should try dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) It's FREE!!!

If you still want to use EAC I'll have a look at it.

I know this is an old topic.....but I was wondering if anyone figured out the EAC dilemma I was having?

Not sure what the problem was as it didn't work for me either, but I just downloaded EAC and LAME 3.93.1 (Download Here..just click or right click and save as).

Extract the zip file and put it somewhere on your HDD.

Install EAC (eac09b4.exe is the latest, but I think you already have it, if not Download it here), It'll ask you to install LAME, leave the box checked (default) and it'll search for LAME.exe, if it is in the folder you just extracted the LAME files to hit next (you could use LAME standard settings if you want), if not browse/type the right path.
Check 'I'm an Expert'...even if you're not.

That should do it, if not let me know what it does and/or doesn't do (I didn't get any sound first as I forgot to check 'use alternate CD play routines' under EAC-->EAC Options--> General tab:rolleyes: )

Oh and you might wanna check 'spin up drive before extraction' under Drive Options/Drive.

Back