• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling your "back side".

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GuyNamedBob

Hi all,
I'm a mechanical engineer and new to over-clocking and water-cooling. As an engineer it is obvious to me that cooling both sides of a processor would remove much more heat. I'm curious if anybody has tried to mount a cooler (of any sort) to both the "chip side" and the "back side" of a motherboard or video card? Aside from possibly shorting the solder points on the back of the card are there any other hurtles or reasons why this shouldn't be attempted? Am I neglecting to take something into account? Has this been found to be too inefficient to bother with (I realize the chip does not rest right directly on the board and the PC board itself is not good at conducting heat)?

ciao...

Robert Mazurowski
Buffalo, NY

Last edited:
i was thinking about that just tonight...im building a case and might take that into consideration....but i'd be anxious to hear the answer the the question....

i suppose with the circuits possibly shorting out....it would be possible to use silicon or something as a barier...like silicon glue and let it harden then use a wb on top of that....

dragon orb 3 said:
i was thinking about that just tonight...im building a case and might take that into consideration....but i'd be anxious to hear the answer the the question....

i suppose with the circuits possibly shorting out....it would be possible to use silicon or something as a barier...like silicon glue and let it harden then use a wb on top of that....

My thoughts are that machining the cooling block mating surface so that it would only contact the board and not touch any of the solder points would work. This, of course, would take some doing but not beyond my training. Or you could "conformaly coat" the board just where the solder points are under the block to electrically insulate them.

ciao...

I cut a penny in a square after lapping it smooth then carefully layed it in the center of the pins on the back of my G4. Then I sandwhiched it with two blue orbs using some 2 inch 6/32 bolts. It worked. I didn't see an improvement over temps, no way to check. Maxed it out on overclock with no problem though I don't do that often. After I felt the back side being real hot to the touch I decided to do that.

Cpu is a different story. To many pins in the back center of the socket. A few resistors pins go all the way through to solder on the back side. I think the temp sensors are too. A fan blowing on the back might help but probably just throw the temp sensor under the socket off to the point your load and idle temps were the same.

i didnt' read the other replys cause they seem abit long..

but this has already been done..
i've seen it at another forums..

maybe someone else has a linky??????

its a extremly small tubing going underneath the cpu.. and a small channel was milled into the socket

Liss said:
i didnt' read the other replys cause they seem abit long..

but this has already been done..
i've seen it at another forums..

maybe someone else has a linky??????

its a extremly small tubing going underneath the cpu.. and a small channel was milled into the socket

For a motherboard I was thinking of removing a portion of the metal mounting board to allow a standard water-block to be inserted with full size tubing. Obviously this wouldn't be a problem for a video card.

ciao...

oh.. well then you'd be cooling the backside of the socket.. not the proc.......
which is kidna pointless......

now cooling of the actually backside of the proc would make a diff.. which is inside the socket...... which makes it difficult :p

I recently designed a CPU backside cooler, but haven't built it yet.

Click me!

I don't see the point in cooling the mobo's back, but there's a guy in Japan that added Alu heatsinks, somehow...

any of you seen this mod

http://www.overclockers.com/articles498/

Joe did not use any kind of hsink or waterblock but if you could do that to a mobo it would be easy to fit one. it dont look easy or the kind of thing you want to do to your new nforce2 but its an idea

also i have experimented by aiming a fan at the back of my mobo this gave me a gain of 2-3C on cpu die temp and 5-6C on northbridge temp so it is worthwhile cooling the back of the socket

big ben i like the idea of running tube through the socket its self keep us posted if you ever build it:cool:

A graphics card for sure would benifit, especialy as heat rises naturaly. with a CPU I'd just slap a TEC on and save a lot of bother ;) ...

Back