• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok guys i need everyone and absolutely everyones opinions about custom cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just2Good99

Registered
Ok guys i need everyone and absolutely everyones opinions about custom cooling...

Alright i was just crusing some web pages for spare parts and came up with a wacky idea... i currently have a 9700 pro ati card and i wanna overclock it but heat is an issue.. so i was thinking of buying a hard drive cooler like this one...

hdc-02.jpg

and what i was gonna do was hot glue it to one of my steel pci covers that comes off the case when u want to add a pci component... by doing so it will pretty much mount the hdd cooler anywhere i like within the pci slot vecinitys... i was thinking of mounting it right over the 9700 pro to give it better cooling... ( yes yes i know it wont be alot more but some is better that none) I was also thinking of maybe instead making a platfor and mounting a big 80 mm fan instead of those 2 small hdd ones.

Next i was thinking of running to a local ace hardware and gettin some pvc piping that doesnt conduct alot of heat and gettin a u join shape.. and having one end curve right on top of my dynatron cpu fan and heatsink and on the other end have one of my rear venting 80 mm fans vent inwords rushing cold air down the pvc to the cpu fan.... for an extreme also thinking of a huge 162 mm fan :)
fan-40.jpg

last but not least i wanna take an old old power supply from this crappy 486 i have in my closet and make and external box to house it.... right now mostly all of my power connectors are taking up but i wanna add more fans and some cold cathode lights.... so i was thinking using the spare powersupply in a box and connect all my components to that and then connect it to my base towers power switch in turn acting like 2 power supplies one powering my main cpu and the other powering all my lights and spare fans...

sorry i know its super long but there is no method to my madness...

will it work and i will take any and all comments just go easy on me :(

always looking to do more... i GET VERY BORED AT HOME....

there all pretty good ideas

i take it that you are not worried about noise:D

why dont you try them out and post the results

good luck slater

cooling

Side panel fan would be better... 80mm, 92mm, or 120mm- blowing right at the card. It would use cooler air than is in the case and could cool both sides of the card.

i currently got a side fan on my case now... antec tower came with one already....

my current setup is 2 intake fans on front, 2 exhaust fans on rear, and one side fan, and power supply fan.

noise is of no concern :) lol i already cant get to sleep with my current setup if the comp is running so that idea goes out the window :)

ill try these things and keep you guys posted on the results.

great idea. just wish I could think up that stuff. I don't have that new of a case or anything but last time I checkeed the agp slot was the way top and there were no slots above it.

zalman makes a bracket that mounts on the frist three slots (agp and two pci slots) and you can mouht several fans on it. they also make a heat pipe cooler for your video card it looks and works really good.

yep gonna order the stuff and ill post the outcomes for you guys :)

im just taking opinions cause id like to hear your guys thoughts

Back