• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA/+ Mobo OC discovery (still in investigation)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

I got a tips from coolarer that Epox 8RDA+ starting using cheaper component on their motherboard now to reduce the cost!!!

So if you want to get the best board now do it fast!! Some of the 8RDA/+ rev 1.1 owner is getting those cheap voltage capacitor and mosfetr made in China where as rev 1.0 are using those high quality capacitor made in Japan and Taiwan.

However... we only see a few mobo now using cheapo component now... maybe it was just a particular batch... not sure all about future shipment... and again this tip has no HARD evidence to back it up except few people's 8rda/+ pic and testimonial :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. Well I have a Rev 1.1 and the board has imprinted Made in Taiwan on it.

The mosfet chips (Between the capacitors) say Malaysia on them.

Am I good?

well.. i think you can ignore it because... it is still too early too tell... the board definately made in taiwan... but dunno about the board components..... and this tip is still remain in the rumor categories...

Well, where would I look to find these supposed "made in china" components? I have it open now, as I am tweaking the board anyway.

Also, not to mess with the thread, but I had my FSB at 195Mhz x 11 and Ran Prime 95 and got errors. Dropped the FSB to 193 x 11 and it's fine. Whatsup with that?

Continue with the topic now .. ;)

well... I am pretty much hit the wall with my 8RDA too...

I just cannot pass the 222mhz FSB.... if I increase the FSB to 223 mhz... window xp will blue screen right after loading mbm5.

I can run 222 mhz all day long. I tried to lower my multiplier to 10x and try 223mhz... still failed... I tried to increase my VDD to 2.0v.... still failed... at this stage I am pretty convinced it is my Corsair XMS PC3500 reached its limit. I check all my components ... it doesnt really say where it is made.. but you have to know the component manufacture very well... like the vdd mosfet on my 8rda is made by NIKO..... and vcore mosfet is made in malaysia... the voltage capacitor is made by OST... a taiwanese manufactor......

I see.. I noticed a chip made by niko on my board, and several made in malaysia as well. I love just looking at the things =)

With the 8RDA+, I have a generic PSU, and stock cooling on the North bridge, and no cooling on the south bridge or mosfets. So I'm stuck at 193Mhz FSB. I am also running the Corsair PC 3500 XMS Cas2 Ram. I have it running at 4-2-2-2-2, and no problems. Think I can go lower with the Ram timings? Should I attempt? hehe.

Also, if I get an quality PSU, and actively cool all three of the Northbridge, Southbridge, and Mosfets that I could raise my FSB from 193Mhz to 200Mhz or higher? Or do you think I have hit my limit?

Thanks

Elusion... just a heads up... I also heard that there will be a new "improved" 8RDA+ next month. From what I understand, they are gonna fix the VDD to support higher voltage. Have you heard anything of this sort?

I haven't pulled the Passive HS off the NB to find out yet. I will eventually, but first I will need the epoxy/asIII and a fan to go on top, and probably a new HS before I mess with it. I hope it is the 3rd version, but only time will tell. Even if it isn't.. With the obvious setbacks I have, (Generic PSU, and completely stock motherboard), could I not get 7 more Mhz in FSB by adding active cooling in 3 places on the mobo and obtaining a very high quality PSU? If not, why bother doing it?

Thanks

Vedder323

yes.. I heard that rumor... based on that 8RGA+ does have VDD adjustment in the Bios... However, many of the Epox Tech keep their mouth shut on the subject. Which makes things even more confusing.....

Epox promised to have 8RD2A + (with RAID and SATA) but now it is killed now....

----------------------------------------------------------

Neofate

I am not sure your NB stepping so I dun really know what is your limit. However, cooling your mosfet, northbridge and southbridge should definately help you achieve 200mhz FSB.... Touch your southbridge and also your mosfet when your computer is running full load... see if they are not or not... if they are not hot.. dun waste $$$ and time cooling them..

NB should be hot at that FSB, sometimes when you touch the default heatsink, it feels cold because the heatsink did not have a good contact with the NB chipset surface.

Back