• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux on an xbox?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnnyw

A cousin of mine states that it is possible to run Mandrake Linux in an Xbox console ( Microsoft) just by inserting the cd and that it would easily boot. Could I use the console itself as a computer? I mean attach my keyboard , monitor, mouse , etc??

johnnyw said:
A cousin of mine states that it is possible to run Mandrake Linux in an Xbox console ( Microsoft) just by inserting the cd and that it would easily boot. Could I use the console itself as a computer? I mean attach my keyboard , monitor, mouse , etc??

yes you can use linux on it and use the xbox as a computer (since it really is a computer :D) , don't ask me how though

Your Xbox BIOS needs to be modded some how. I think you have to buy another bios chip from somwhere.

do you know where ( inet) to buy it?

in case it is easy to find ,despite Argentina´s currency related to the dollar I think I´ll buy it .....

Last I heard the main hacked Xbox chip seller in Hong Kong got his doors closed by M$. Someone must have gotten a good payoff because China usally dosn't mess with their domestic software industry (piracy).

You also might try running a Knoppix Linux CD and see if it works.

You might want to search slashdot for that, I saw a good howto article posted a few weeks back. And I also read another article which said that microsoft is changing the way the Xbox is set up to prevent this in the future.

M$ contends that since their chips are coded by them they are considered software media just like a CD. So nobody can leagally reverse engineer or otherwise hack the hardware in Xbox without violating software protection laws. In other words, you only have a licence to use your Xbox. M$ owns the functionality and end usage. You only own the box.

Your bases are belong to them LOL.

You need a mod chip. The XBox checks for a certain check code from the CD when the system is booted up. The mod chip blocks the check and forces the xbox to boot. Linux has and can be put on the XBOX, but you will need a mod chip. The only setback, is that XBOX LIVE will not work. You will need to make a switch turn turn the chip on/off. I won't say anymore b/c its not in the best intrest of the forum.
Go here for info: http://www.xboxhackz.com its a good forum, but the people are rude. Lost of info though. The site itself is no longer updated though.
This site is updated much more, and a very good source: http://www.xbox-scene.com/

cack01, I love seeing Linux on things that were never intended to run it, but posting links to xbox modding (as in mod chip) sites creates a liability for this site and these forums. You should take down the links and leave the recommendation at google.

some guy made a linux cluster out of xboxs i saw it on [h]

you can also run linux off your ps2

Christoph said:
cack01, I love seeing Linux on things that were never intended to run it, but posting links to xbox modding (as in mod chip) sites creates a liability for this site and these forums. You should take down the links and leave the recommendation at google.

Its a touchy subject, but since mod chip are legal its okay in my opinion. Those sites won't discuss where to get illegal backups, so they are okay in my book. If a mod really isn't happy, they can always PM me, or edit the post.

Last edited:
Sometimes it seems like people are too paranoid and lame here with regards to what they label as a liability or illegal.

I saw a thread about wardriving over in the Networking forum and it got locked because apparently that is illegal.

I think the topic of the thread is not to discuss wether it is appropriate /legal or what ever , the fact is that I´d like to know more technicals aspects about this thing not just discuss.

Back