• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random lock ups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sk-

system specs:

1.1ghz t-bird
BIOSTAR m7vkd
256crucial sdram
tnt1 agp video card [ still rockin it ]
Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm
WD 40gig 5400rpm
Pioneer dvd rom
Plextor cdrw drive
sb live!
generic nic
330watt sparkle psu
WindowsXP Pro

My computer [ I know it sucks ] would freeze for like 15 seconds when doing simple tasks like checking my e-mail or going to any website and then it would unfreeze and everything would be fine. This problem occurs ever 15 mins or so.

At first I noticed my DVD drive spinning when there was no CD and thats when my computer locked up. But with the tray out, the computer still freezes.

look in the taskmanager and see if there is any thing using vast amonts of cpu time.
When I conect to the interent or disconect my compute locks up and the mp3 will repeat the last few notes for a few seconds then unfreezes thats with diel-up on a v92. The modem seams to find conecting/disconecting hard.
when i had my voltage too high with my old tbird the mouse would get stuck every few so often for a second but keep on going. droping the voltage one step solved that but it tock ages to figerout waht was up.

It was a virus. Just removed it but for some reason both my cdrw drive and dvd drive dont work anymore.

I restared my computer and bios doesnt even see the two drives. Wondering if they are dead. And I know there is no warrenty left since i got this computer in the year of 2000.

no, but a virus can screw windows bad enough that it can't see those drives. Do your drives still show up in BIOS? If they do, then I'm gonna bet that your only sure fix is to reinstall your OS. God knows what that virus might have screwed up.

Maybe try the Add New Hardware wizard, with fingers crossed?

Try pushing all of the ide connectors in on ur motherboard even if you havent moved them you never know it happend to me

Back