• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can added voltage cause file copies/pastes to freeze in explorer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCMax

Registered
At first i thought that the failure of explorer to copy files correctly was a result of overclocking, setting the fsb speeds too high, etc.

So finally i decided to be smart and try the chip UNDERclocked and clocked where it was supposed to be. Same error occured. It freezes during file transfers.

Now, because i've tried the different settings, i now know that it wasn't a result (hopefully) of the overclocking, and so i should be able to see that 168 x 13.5 that looked pretty earlier. However, i do need to fix this harddrive problem...so my question is can it have something to do with voltage being that it's a new system? Here are my stats:

AMD XP2100+ @ 1.85 v
Thermaltake volcano 7+ w/arctic silver 3
1 stick 512 ddr pc2700 ram (Crucial Micron)
30 gig western digital 7200 rpm 2mb cache
80 gig western digital 7200 rpm 2mb cache
200gig western digital 7200 rpm 8mb cache
Promise Ultra ATA 133 IDE controller card (just controls the 200 gig)
Plextor Plexwriter 24x10x40A (yeah, old lol)
Generic 12x dvd rom
ATI All in Wonder RADEON (yeah, i know, sucks)
SBL Audigy

At 1.85 v on the cpu, it runs at 41-43 degrees C idle and 49 degrees at full load. The ram voltage is set to 2.77.

Thanks for anything you can do to help me...apparently this is a harddrive problem (or an interface with harddrive problem), so if you guys could possibly just even link me to a site explaining necessary actions to deal with situations such as my own, that'd be great...

Thanks,

Phillip

I had Crucial PC2100 in my old system and it wouldn't post with anything above 2.6v so you might try lowering everything to default and change one item at a time. IE raise CPU voltage, try file transfer, raise CPU speed, try file transfer, etc... until you find the cause of the lockup.

freezes and things weird going on like that make me think its ram issues also.look into the timings and voltage a bit.relax them and try adjusting the vdimm up and down also.

Thanks....i've adjusted the ram from everything to relaxed to aggressive and still the freezing.

HOWEVER, i have not lowered the vdimm, and that very well could be the problem.

I'll try that and let you guys know in a little while.

Thanks!

Hahaha, ready to be amused?

I think i've determined the file copy program was a result of a program called cpuidle...i have no idea why it was locking up my system, but it was. :(

Hopefully everything will be ok now...

Back