• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD after using ACC function

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vpro

Hi guys this is my first post here and i would like some help on my current problem.

I bought my computer 2 years ago and i always use to have the ACC function enabled. Two weeks ago i noticed the ACC function got disabled and i restarted the PC to enable it and after that i started getting random BSODs.

At first i thought it was a memory problem because i ran Memtest which showed around to 6000 errors but after resetting the bios settings to default and fixing the RAM timings, i ran Memtest again without getting any errors.

So tried to enable ACC function again but the same thing happens. Also, most of the time i can't even boot to windows without getting a BSOD. (if ACC is enabled)

System Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 555 Processor
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
8GB RAM - OCZ3G1333LV4GK (x4)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (x2)
ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

I'm not really good on controlling BIOS settings so i will post some screenshots
in case i messed up any settings there.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0433.JPG
    IMG_0433.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
My guess is the reason those two locked cores were locked at the factory is now beginning to show its ugly head as the CPU has aged and degraded a little. Most CPUs with locked cores have flaws that may be only minor and allow the cores to be viable for a time when unlocked but they can eventually become unstable. This is not uncommon. You can always try it as a tri-core as well by disabling one of the unlocked cores.

My guess is the reason those two locked cores were locked at the factory is now beginning to show its ugly head as the CPU has aged and degraded a little. Most CPUs with locked cores have flaws that may be only minor and allow the cores to be viable for a time when unlocked but they can eventually become unstable. This is not uncommon. You can always try it as a tri-core as well by disabling one of the unlocked cores.
I'm sorry, but no? Where did you hear that?

The CPUs with locked cores were either these things:
1. Cores do not function within normal ranges, even stock speeds, defective
2. CPU was much over TDP as a quad core, can't sell as X4 because won't meet power/thermal requirements
3. They needed more dual-cores to meet demand.

...and ACC is just useless on Phenom II.

@op
Does the BSOD only happen when ACC is enabled? When you have 4 cores enabled? Memtest86+ showing errors is bad.

What kind of BSOD's were they? Can you find out what the code was near the bottom of the screen ie. "0x000008E"? WhoCrashed is a great tool.

Last edited:
BeepBeep2, by "minor flaws" I meant the cores were out of spec a little. My intention was to say the same thing as you have said about it. Is there a difference between "flaws" and "defective"?

Hey, dude, take a hint. Some people (including but not limited to myself) who participate regularly on this forum are getting tired of your constant correction of others and the rudeness with which you do it. There are three kinds of people who participate on this forum: Those who want help, those who want to help others and those who just want to impress people with their knowledge. Which group do you fall in?

Look, if incorrect advice (and random guesses) weren't being thrown around to people as advice/expert insight I'd be fine chiming in just as anyone else, however, when it happens, what do you expect me to do? Not say anything? Ignore what is wrong, post my advice completely separate from the discussion at hand, and hope I don't look crazy?

trents, I apologize (really, I'm sorry) as I obviously come off as rude/impersonal (especially towards you) but we all need to be on the same page here...there are a lot of threads in this section that get 20 replies without being solved either, could be done in 4-5...

I'm sure it's a bad first impression, but tough love?

The most a CPU would have degraded at stock voltage would be a few MHz at worst, if the OP would just find whatever BSOD he was getting it would tell what the problem was in an instant, if hardware related. It would be extremely uncommon for unlocked cores to have a 1-2 Mhz tolerance over stock...would just be bad luck.

BeepBeep2 said:
there are a lot of threads in this section that get 20 replies without being solved either, could be done in 4-5...

...and ACC is just useless on Phenom II.

@ "vpro", man if it takes more than 4 or 5 posts to get your situation discovered, feel free to post as much as is required.

If your ACC unlock has worked for you the better part of 2 years, I doubt you feel it to be useless, so did you get it working again? Or are you still having issues?

You do know that you can send a PM to a user by clicking on his user name and clicking on send PM if you have a need to do so. Good luck to you man and hope you have made some progress.

...there are a lot of threads in this section that get 20 replies without being solved either, could be done in 4-5...

Probably true. And now that we have you helping us that shouldn't happen so often, right?

I'm sure it's a bad first impression, . . .

No, arrived at over a period of time. I had been restraining myself.

. . . but tough love?

That only works when people have earned the right to practice it in your life by taking the time and trouble to build a relationship with you. Doesn't apply here so to say that just comes across as arrogant.

The most a CPU would have degraded at stock voltage would be a few MHz at worst, if the OP would just find whatever BSOD he was getting it would tell what the problem was in an instant, if hardware related. It would be extremely uncommon for unlocked cores to have a 1-2 Mhz tolerance over stock...would just be bad luck.

Not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying a CPU with viable unlocked cores cannot be overclocked more than 1-2 mhz?

Back