• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat 5 Outside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterDJ

Registered
alright heres my problem...I have 2 cat 5 wires running from my 3rd floor down to my basement...I live in canada and is it possible to run networking cables outside??? how will they stand up to the Canadian Elements??? Cold, snow, rain, heat??? anyone tried this??? if not is there a special cable i can purchase to do this...this is my only option..

thanx

Greg

quick answer, duct tape. just tape the cat 5 to the side of the house

or just get yourself some 1/4" pvc, paint the pipe to the color of the house, and use brackets to attach it to the house.

by itself, the cable should stand upto the elements fairly well. I would suggest the pvc piping as a more perminant solution. Even the duct tape will eventually wear.

hmm...i guess that PVC piping is my only option then...so i guess that there is no special outdoor networking cable?? thanx for all the replies!

greg

Well, I would certainly suggest that you use plenum rated cable, the fireproof stuff, otherwise you may break building codes. It's thicker, stiffer, stronger, and handles heat better.

Be sure to use shrink wrap over your connectors where they are crimped to the cable .It helps to ensure no moisture corrodes the pins. Then I would run them through some sort of conduit, like PVC.

Or buy higher rated line and run it naked.

Plenum rate..

There is CAT 5 underground cable it is expensive and hard to work with but should hold up to the elements, PVC pipe will probably be cheaper.

It's not really designed for external use. But as long as your not going very far with it, I cant see why it would be a problem.

Do you have forced air heating? if so just run it through the cold air returns to the basement........if not it should hold up as long as you take the precautions listed above

i ran a 75 foot line of plenium grade cat 5e cable about 18 months ago, and i have had rain/sleet/snow/sun and a temp change from a high of about 95f down to a low of 11f, or ~35c to ~8c for all the non yanks :), and i have not had a problem with it yet.

what i did was staple the cable up the wall in the groves on the outside, and then along the ridge by the top of the eves, and back down to the bottom of and in the all, all the the holes were filled in with the self expanding sealing foam, and with it right up agenst the wall i dont feel that i have anything to worry about it geting corroded.

hope this helps :)

dagamore said:
high of about 95f down to a low of 11f, or ~35c to ~8c

11f is actually about -11.666 C, 8 C is 46.4 F. Damn yanks should learn metric (I live in NY btw, so I'm one too, but I know metric :p).

KraziKid said:

11f is actually about -11.666 C, 8 C is 46.4 F. Damn yanks should learn metric (I live in NY btw, so I'm one too, but I know metric :p).

and your are apsolutly correct, i was looking at my room theremometer, and i did not see that i was on the other side of the C zero mark :( talk about a blond moment :D

dagamore said:

and your are apsolutly correct, i was looking at my room theremometer, and i did not see that i was on the other side of the C zero mark :( talk about a blond moment :D

We're all allowed a blond moment. Don't make it permanent though. :D

Back