• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mace

Ok, I have a strange question. This happend three times today. My lights would flicker and then my computer locks up. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with my psu or how I could check my psu.

Lights, as in the lights in the whole house flicker?

If so, this is due to problems in your local power grid, not your PSU thankfully. A better PSU might possibly have better filtering and keep the PC from freezing, but not likely. To fix this problem, you'll need a good filtering surge protector or a constant-on UPC. Or call the power company and complain :D

My surge protector is kinda old. Maybe it is time to replace it. I have heard they don't work as good when they get old. Is this true?

yup, the element in there that actually catches the surge can wear out over time. The box usually says replace every year- probably not needed that often, tho.

I heard somewhere that the doodad that catches the surge is actually a tiny bit of radioactive something, and it doesn't so much wear out, as it does decay.

Truth? Lies? I have no idea, but it sounded good when I heard it.:D

Back