• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Overclock... Am I doing this right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exodus00

Registered
Well.. I started out by upping the FSB gradually... 2 mhz increments... loading into windows... restarting.. repeat.. got to like 145.. and I switched the dividers to 5:2:1, .. tried at 147... worked the first time.... so I tried for 149... crashed.. bluescreen.... tried 148.. crashed.. bluescreen... 147 again.. it crashed... so I tried 146.. and its holding solid so far...

voltage at 1.80

anything else I can do to get it higher?... well.. short of an unlocking kit..(btw.. are those safe to do?)

kinda boggling me why I cant get it past 146...

system specs below btw

thanx

Are you running any kinda stablitity test??? I can load windows @ 2.48 but nothing is stable. As a matter of fact stable for me is around 2.4 max

well sorta.. guess this would prolly be the most ghetto way to test.. but playing a DVD, listening to music.. testing out games..

i'm kinda a n00b at this.. would like to learn though..

try relaxing the ram timings, if that doesnt work then start upping voltages, i.e. vdimm and vcore. however as the ram is already outta spec you possibly may be maxed, but i highly doubt it. oh, you can also try switching the ram slots, some work better than others. also 146/5=29.2mhz on the pci bus. i dont know if runnin under spec can cause probs, just will make the pci slower.

since ur new 2 all this u should prob read this guide:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113773

i read it n its really helpful..........tells u 'most everything u need 2 know bout overclocking an XP (gives a link 2 a system tester.......betta than playin games for a bit 2 c if things r stable). Also c the sticky @ the beginning o the forum (think its "Duron, Athalon, XP FAQ").......has heaps o links 2 how 2 unlock ur chip.

i set it all back to default.. course its depressing.. its really slow now lol...
I have an Abit.. which with the RAM slots... = pain the the butt
4 of em.. and they only work starting from slot 3, and going down from there in order.. otherwise the bios wont even post....
so doubt changing the slots would accomplish anything but bad results....

also... relaxing the RAM timings?

EDIT:: Just read that guide... clarified a few things.. I think I'll just try the prime95 with my FSB at 145 and the Benchmark Enhancer on.... small overclock, but enough to tell a difference..

anyother tips would be great though.. thanx for the help

Last edited:
2.9v on the vdimm is getttin high, over that and i dunno, your gamblin for the long term.

ya... around 48 and the thing hasn't had a break for a week.. just been doing restarts

only raised 1 degree during the entire overclocking..

i also have the shutoff temp at like 60 and the warning at 55

it just flashes blue and restarts... kinda like the floor dropped out from under it... and the system specs are in my sig

its XP Pro.. legal version :)

well... i got it to 1.848ghz.. but it was kinda unstable, so i toned it down to 1.8ghz and it runs like a dream

1.8 vcore
2.65 vdimm
149FSB /w Abit benchmark enhancer.. and still running the 4:2:1 dividers...

added a few more fans to my case.. got the cpu temp down to 39 under load, and the ambient to like 20.... So I think I'll leave it at this... least till I get some better RAM... thanx for the help..

Back