• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

about sound cards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes you can, all mobos have onboard sound. Just install your PCI card and hook your speakers up to it. You might have to go into your bios and disable your onboard sound. It depends on your mobo, some of them do it automaticly when you put in a new sound card.

Some mobos don't have onboard sound, but even then it's OK to throw in more than one sound card. I've got an old system that I stick all my extra hardware in so that it dosen't get lost, and I have 2 soundcards in it. Haven't gotten the drivers for both, so I can't say if they'll work at the same time, but I know the system will support more than one.

JigPu

I mean 2 soundcards at the same time. without disabling the onboard sound card is it possible?

you dont exactly need to go into your bios...just go into your control panel, sound settings and disable the onboard sound

in your Audio Properties panel, you can choose what device is used for what- i.e., assign one card to playback and one to record and MIDI. Then check 'use preferred devices only'- this will let you have multiple sound cards installed (You can also set up a Hardware Profile, if you wanted).

You can't actually use both of them simultaneously, though. I've tried a few times, and I've never gotten it to work right. Either the first card is the one all my programs use, or both sound cards refuse to work right. I believe the problem lies with DirectX only supporting one device at a time- could be wrong about that, tho.

This was with win98- haven't tried it under anything newer yet.

Nice avatar, BTW! :D

Yeah it's fine as long as they don't conflict in the config. I've had like 2 or 3 in at once. That way certain audio programs can run on certain cards.

Back