• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a Little Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
I here that you should reformat about every 4 months or so. But with the Windows EULA you can only install it twice? Am I missing something?

It is probably true, there way of getting more cash out of you, not like they can earn it fairly. That is the main problem with computers, everything costs so much.

-SSXIX

mmmmmm.................if I'm not mistaken, that's 2 installs without having to contact MS for re-activation. After that, a call to MS, a new key and you're ready to rock :)

you should format only if you need to, dont listen to people saying to format every 4 months, the last time i formated my computer was almost a year ago when i installed XP

New formats clean out much of the junk that accumulates over time and slows your system down. It is a good habit to get into.

When I ran Windows 9x I formatted my HD every 6 months. When I went to Windows 2000 I did not reinstall until I did a clean installation of Windows XP. I have had XP running for a year, and it still performs very well. I think this is a bit of conventional wisdom that has outlived its usefullness. There are a lot of things people do just because that's what they have always done. It does not mean that doing it is still neccessary.

rather than reformat, I just take the time to clean out all of my old junk that I don't need, use, or want to save anymore, then defrag my drives.

Good thing this thread came up. My main HD is fragmented all over the place. Not the worse the forums have seen but it is the worst I have seen.

So thank you for starting and continuing this thread.

BTW I reinstall whenever it is needed.

stompah said:
Good thing this thread came up. My main HD is fragmented all over the place. Not the worse the forums have seen but it is the worst I have seen.

So thank you for starting and continuing this thread.

BTW I reinstall whenever it is needed.

more or less these days, it doesn't really matter how often you reinstall... it seems that the systems are becoming a lot better at handling being installed for longer periods of times when it comes to slowing down due to clutter... maybe it's just me or something, but i have never really reinstalled very often... i only do it when something goes terribly wrong... i have all my programs saved to cd discs just in case though so i can quickly reinstall in about 4 hours if need be...

man i HATE reformattting... you gotta back up all the poo yo pick up that you cant just get rid of..but there is so much of it!:rolleyes: but you can just call them and explaing your situation and they will give you a key thingy to activate it... as far as i can tell you could just tell them its only one 1 or 2 coputers and they would never know! though iv never tested that....

CrashOveride said:
man i HATE reformattting... you gotta back up all the poo yo pick up that you cant just get rid of..but there is so much of it!:rolleyes: but you can just call them and explaing your situation and they will give you a key thingy to activate it... as far as i can tell you could just tell them its only one 1 or 2 coputers and they would never know! though iv never tested that....

they are pretty understanding because they know how picky the activation software is... if you just rearrange 3 pci cards in the slots (well that's at least all i did) it makes you reactivate... :rolleyes: that's one of the reasons that i use win2kpro...

Constantly changing hardware is the reason I have stayed with 2K instead of switching to XP. I've had it for quite a while now and never opened the package up.

stool said:
Constantly changing hardware is the reason I have stayed with 2K instead of switching to XP. I've had it for quite a while now and never opened the package up.

i used it for a couple months and back in the drawer it went... i don't quite feel so bad since it only cost me about $5 at the bookstore... but i don't think i will upgrade until win2k becomes outdated so bad that there is no longer hardware support... but since xp and 2k are similar driver wise i should be pretty good for a while...

DDR-PIII said:
i format avbout ever 1-2 months :) for the performance :)

the only way i could do that is if i had a HDD to back stuff up on... it would have to be ~60 gigs too... maybe ill get one over the summer but intil then there is no way anyone could ever get my to back up my stuff that often

There are utilities you can use to clean up your hard drive without reformatting. Symantec's Clean Sweep lets you remove unused registry entries or orphaned dll's or duplicate files or empty files.

Excelsior said:
oh and i make images of my drive so i can easly get back to windows in 10 minutes :p...and ready to rock :D
correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this just make it like you reformat and then put it back the way it was and it wont change anything?!?

CrashOveride said:
correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this just make it like you reformat and then put it back the way it was and it wont change anything?!?

not if he takes an image of his drive from when he has everything installed and setup ready as a fresh install... :D

Back