• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPGRADING to Windows 2000 professional...some questions....NEED ANSWERS FAST!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kev

i currently have windows 98SE and have overclocked my system (see post signature at bottom). Apparently, Windows 2000 pro offers more stability, possibly for the overclocker too. Is this true? ...also what are the catches and limitations with Windows 2000 pro? ...i consider myself a power user, so i need to move onto the newely bred 32-bit kernels (that sounds posh.. :) ) ..however i am a gamer and play such games as Unreal Tournement, Quake 3, Counter-strike/Half-life, and MANY others..all sorts...am i going to lose all these games? ...is Windows 2000 really THAT uncompatible?...i hope not...im dying to make the switch and can't be bothered with the dual boot nonsense...i want ONE solid compatible poweful operating system......is 2000 gonna fullfill my needs....please tell me all the crap and good stuff about it........

also..........yes, another question...i have an Abit KT7E, and apparently the latest drivers of the 4in1 drivers are pants for win2k ...is that true...if so, what are the best 4in1 drivers for Windows 2000 pro ....its exciting for me changing to windows 2000 cos ive been with windows 98 most of computing life, so im expecting big things, but bulding my hopes up too much..........THANK YOU VERY MUCH for helping a young welshman in distress.........fankou :)

or.............shall i bugger the whole windows 2000 pro idea and wait for XP and stick with 98?...not long to go........im having second thoughts here

Dont use XP. Win2000 was my choice wheni moved from 98se. Let me tell you that 4 me win2000 is the most stable thing on my computer-no matter what i do to jack it up it always boots up after saving the settings...lol. Anyway i have played UT, Q3, Black and White, Starcraft, Diablo 2, serious Sam,-lots of other games to name-that are all cpu and graphic intensive and NEVER have they crashed. Win2k along with Service pack 2. Is great. So many administrator and Power User feature-also its so much more secure and tweakable. The overclocking is a bit better cause 98se is not setup correctly to use a high FSB and also it is not made to use high speed cable connection and such. 2000is-I have lots of stuff-usb webcam-usb optical mouse-pronter scanner-digital camera-and my stereo hooked up to my sound card. So far it is totallly compatible wiht everything i throw at it. And everything i have or had does have win200 drivers. Hope my xperiances helped you

THANK YOU! ...hepled a LOT ....i play all those games too, and i dont wanna lose performance by upgrading...hopefully i will GAIN performance...your post helped a huge deal with my decisions....im sick of Windows 9x versions and ME...winME is bloated as hell, and XP is gonna be bloated too by the looks of it.......granted XP will have all the fancy software for doing stuff, but if you dont need it, why have it there taking up space an processing power?! ...sorted.....can't wait to move to win 2k pro...its really exciting. Im glad to see you've had no problems with drivers too, cos thats one of my other fears, aswell as gaming performance. I have win2k drivers for my voodoo 3 2000, KT7E and my SB Live on original CDs...i may have to update them, but thats only natural. ...what about the VIA 4in1 drivers? ...many say that the 4.32 dont work well with win 2K ...shall i try try 4.32 then work my way down to see if i get a performance gain/loss..............by looking at my specs below, can you see any conflicts that will arise with win2k pro? ... .. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . anyway, im just off to make a cuppa...im well thirsty.....maybe i will re-format tonight....we'll see......but 8GBs of mp3s...can i really be arsed backin' them up?....not really

First Post on here........

I just installed (for the xxxx time!) Win2K Pro on an Abit KT7-A.

DON'T INSTALL THE VIA DRIVERS!!!!!!!

Caused fatal problems.

Win2K apparently has all the drivers built in.

:)

Also, don't install Iomega Zip software (same problem)..... Win2K has its own drivers that seem to work just fine, thank you.

I don't have any VIA chipsets..but the iomega thing i can vouche for..

and just to add my $.02..
Win2k is GREAT!
it hasn't given me any problems so far..very stable, runs all my games and such nicely, supports a lotta stuffs..etc, etc,...

im using win2k on my system too
its much more stable than win98
me and xp are both bad news
im sticking with win2k for a lonnnnnng time
under win98,i cant raise the fsb more than 2mhz
under win2k i can go up 112
(limited by my kt133 chipset)
win2k is also compatible with most games i have seen
the only thing it lacks is dos support(like we use that!!)
these games are all 32 bit and should run fine
ive got the via 4.32 drivers and havent had a problem

Yeah I haven't had a problem with installing VIA 4in1 drivers yet. Perhaps the problems are with the Abit versions of them? Sometimes the manufactuers will piss with the packaging, I don't know, a possibility anyways.

But the 4in1 drivers work fine for me on any system I have built with Win2k and the Via drivers which has been several.

Shawn

just finished the Windows 2kpro installation....i love it already...man! its got spunk. It kicks windows 98se's *** into another galaxy....and ive only used it for 10 minutes!...cant use it now cos my neice is stayin in my house and she has to kip in my room where the comp is....for 3 whole days!!! ...so no comp in the vening for a bit, so im on my bro's laptop at the mo .....yeah, soon as i get back on my win2k system, i will download serive pack 2.........ive installed all the drivers on the system, including VIAs 4in1 drivers, version 4.32 (the latest i think)....no problems within 10 minutes, or would i actually notice any problems in 10 minutes?...i dunno....didnt have any "unknown devices" in the sexy new device manager...so all seems ok, still, i can really tell from now...also.......an important question........

NTFS or FAT32 ?
------------------------

i was prompted at the start if i wanted to use fat32 or NTFS .....is NTFS better than FAT32, and if so, why? ...any downfalls with it? ...also, if NTFS is better and i convert to it, will NTFS be used in Windows XP which i supoose i will have to change to eventually....cos apparently you cant change the file format back after its been converted .....cheers for your help and advice/

regards,
a computer freak in love with Windows 2000 professional. ...... .. . . ! :)

Back