• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice regarding options on upgrading to new system please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DL2k19

Finally looking at upgrading my 2600k system i built about 8 years ago. I'm also using an i7 920 system next to it.

Need some advice on what route i should go...

A) I can pick up tomorrow a MSI Trident X Gaming Desktop at 20% off for $1850 + tax https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1455691-REG/msi_trident_x_9se_003us_i7_9700k.html
it has
3.6 GHz Intel Core i7-9700K Eight-Core
16GB DDR4 | 256GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (8GB GDDR6)
USB Type-A & Type-C | HDMI | DisplayPort
Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) | Gigabit Ethernet
MSI Mystic Light RGB LED Lighting
Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

The board is a $150 MSI z370i gaming carbon AC and video card is $700 MSI rtx 2080 ventus
Videos posted about the review of this system are good and tested running 4.6 on all cores, not bad for just air cooled.

The negatives would be the cpu probably won't reach its turbo'd potential of even 4.9 under air and such non flow, small case. Also the ram i read is terrible... 2600 on green board no shielding at all. HD is 5400 rpm. I can easily swap those out though

B) I can just pick up a 8700k $10 cheaper than the ryzen 2700x
Get a better motherboard z390 series...either the gigabyte aorus pro wifi or MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC Motherboard. Open to other board suggestions but both these had good reviews and in stock ready to pick up immediately. I threw the msi in because i've had extremely good success with them. Both my 8 and 10 year old current systems run msi board and i have 2 msi gaming laptops dating back 4 years...no issues with all.
I can get 16gb of high quality 3600 ram like gskill tridentz or corsair rgb pro
Pick up a corsair h150i cooler and a additional corsair 3 fan kit to run push pull
Use the stuff i already have, which is a thermaltake P5 case new in box. Move over my Antec 1000w PS i put in my 2600k system 8 years ago and was $280. Also move over my evga 980ti video card and 2 500gb samsung evo 360 ssd's
So my total cost with this is about $1000 Essentially the difference not having the new video 2080 card. But I would have better ram, board and room to overclock beyond 4.6 that i would get with the trident X, albeit less cores.

C) Just wait it out for ryzen 3k and either go for that or a 9900k. I would go open loop cooling in a thermaltake 900 and system would probably cost me $2500

Open to suggestions/hardware changes, thx

It always comes down to what you are willing to spend

All the options will be a vast improvement, If this a gaming rig I think Ryzen checks a lot of boxes and could save you some cash

I agree - without knowing your budget, we really cannot give much is the way of advice - even if we had an idea what you wanted.
The negatives would be the cpu probably won't reach its turbo'd potential of even 4.9 under air and such non flow, small case.
Just because there is an air cooler and the case is small, that does not mean default turbo modes cannot be achieved. MSI is a reputable company. It is not likely they would provide a product that could not even support the included components at their own published specs.

While the design of that case is unconventional - in particular the side panels and exhaust vents - it is designed to allow direct input cooling for the two GPU fans, the CPU fan and the PSU as seen here (scroll down just past half-way).

I am not endorsing this system (I prefer to build my own) using standard ATX components. I am just saying you should not assume the case and supplied CPU cooler are inadequate before even seeing the product. While not my favorite review site, I note this review states,
The MSI delivers fantastic performance and, impressively, it has good thermal abilities. During a gaming stress-test and a full-system test the CPU hit a fine peak temperature of 81 degrees. The graphics card was fourteen degrees cooler.

The CPU and GPU never throttled, and the low rumble emitted by the Trident is no worse than a full-size gaming desktop – a stellar result considering this machine’s size.
KitGuru had similar nice comments about cooling.

C) Just wait it out... ...thermaltake 900
In my opinion, your mind is all over the place. The MSI is almost a SFF case. I note it even comes with a SFX PSU (which limits your upgrade options). The TT 900 is a MONSTER "full tower" case that even supports EATX motherboards, 8 expansion slots, 1 external and 8 internal drives! That's going from one extreme to the other. Frankly, almost no one "needs" a full tower case or support for an EATX motherboard. Even most decent mid-tower cases can easily support at least 5 - 6 drives, two double-wide graphics cards, with a couple extra expansion slots to spare.

You are basically asking us if your next vehicle should be a sub-compact Chevy Spark or a Chevy Stretch Suburban.

Open to suggestions/hardware changes, thx
My recommendation is to set your budget, then decide what you are looking for in your next computer first. Then come back after you have narrowed down the field.

I'm biased towards building your own. I guess it really depends on your budget because as you said, B is the same price as A once you buy the card. My only concern with B is re-use of the PSU. Just don't do it, you can get a quality 650w or 750w PSU for less than $100. The only other downside of B would be if you have a use for the current system that wouldn't suffice with a cheap hard drive (since you really don't want to re-use the PSU anyway) and integrated graphics.

I guess it comes down to this: will you use put the 2080 to use and can you afford it? If no then B with your old card. If yes then whichever you prefer A or B with a new 2080, depending on the kind of case you want to have.

Otherwise wait til Black Friday and do an open loop with whatever the best processor is. I got a lot of WC stuff 50% off last year, and everything was significantly discounted.

NVidia and AMD both have excess inventory on the shelf of most makes/models of graphics cards as do their AIBs so prices are falling by the week. Especially since they ramped up for mining just as it crashed. Same for RAM and SSDs; manufacturerers are choking on excess. If you're not in a hurry you may consider waiting a month or three. I've seen 1TB SSDs for 10¢/GB lately and those prices reflect the current market; projection is for them to fall further as all the manufacturers report that they are trying to slow production until the demand catches up with the supply. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8-9¢/GB in the near future. And RAM, I've read that it will be late in the year when Intel gets their production caught up on the newer lithogrpahy before the systems integrators will create demand for RAM. Same with cell phone demand, it's slacking which makes for poor RAM consumption (yes, different RAM, but from the same factories).

All that said, over the next quarter you should be able to piece together a very snappy system for less $$ than you state above, all of the components upgraded from your list.

Looks as if Ryzen is not cheaper for the OP.
I think it is a mistake to put too much emphasis on the price of individual components when researching and buying parts for a new or upgraded computer.

Once you factor in the price for the case, motherboard, RAM, drive(s), PSU, graphics card (if not integrated), OS license, monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, speakers, then start adding in the cost of all your programs (Office, games, etc.) (don't forget shipping and taxes), the difference in cost between an AMD and Intel processor become much less significant, and in some cases, totally negligible - especially after you spread any cost difference over the 3 - 5+ year life expectancy of the computer.

Unless you need the computer yesterday for some mission critical project, if you are eyeballing and drooling over a more expensive CPU but the extra cost is holding you back, just have patience, Grasshopper! Wait a month or two, save your pennies and build up your budget a little more until you can afford it. The wait will be worth it.

This same advice holds true if you are considering a hard drive instead of going SSD. Even the slowest SSD will run circles around the fastest hard drive. Not to mention they take up less space, weigh less, perform much better, are totally silent, generate less heat, perform much better, consume less power, and have a longer life expectancy. Did I mention they perform much better? ;)

Back