Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

KT7a// bad bios flash...windows screwed up. What went wrong?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 10:49 PM Thread Starter   #1
Michael_Myers

KT7a// bad bios flash...windows screwed up. What went wrong?

Hi, I tried to upgrade from 3c to 3r and the "flash" itself went fine, but when it booted into windows, it searched for the via 4in1 drivers all over again. I just hit kept hitting next and let it search for them. Windows 98 found the first few and installed them it seemed, but then the last few wanted a file called viadx.cat or something similar..... I just said "skip file" because I didn't know where to find it. I figured if worse came to worse, I would just reinstall the 4in1 drivers. Well......it finaly started to boot into windows, and I get a "explorer.exe" failure, and the GUI never comes up. Just the light green wallpaper of windows and nothing else. Cntr alt delete brings up the close window but nothing is in there. A restart does the same thing.........I can't even boot into safe mode because I get the same Explorer.exe error in safe mode.....

IN short, I reinstalled windows98 on top of the existing copy just so I could get "back in" to my system and save my important files, before I do a reformat, and reinstall. (which I now plan to do)

But bottom line......can anyone tell me what went wrong so I don't go through this again. BTW......I upgraded my bios (original out of the box) to 3c with no problems. the transfer from 3c to 3r caused the above to happen. What happened?? Thks.

PS....system was not overclocked at all.
Michael_Myers is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 07-23-01, 01:33 AM   #2
hooziewhatsit

Did you uninstall the via 4 in 1's before you flashed to the new bios? I just read that abit recommended that you do that then reinstall them afterwards.

I'm not exactly sure if that would cause the problem you had, but it might have.

Proud member of the 2004 www.overclockers.com Folding@home Team

My Heatware

<><
hooziewhatsit is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards