• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a good overclocking mobo (socket A), for les than 100 bucks, can someone help me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i need a good overclocking mobo (socket A), for les than 100 bucks, can someone help me?

im building a computer for my mom (shes only giving me 300 dollars ) and im looking for a decent socket A athlon or duron mobo...thanks....

Abit KT7E - It should do around 140 Mhz even though its elegedly a 100 Mhz board. Definatly the best bang for your buck mobo out there. It also uses cheaper ram than DDR motherboards so that should help as well.

MSI K7T Turbo, its under $100 for a new one, extremely stable, and a pretty good overclocking board. You get the better KT133A chipset and some onboard audio to help the budget out. It will fit any hsf you want to put on it too. A superior motherboard.

lol...my situation isnt that bad....i already have a used monitor, sound card, ethernet, video card, so all i really need is a case and a mobo and a cpu, and a hdd...because she doesnt care about video performance i have an old ATI 3D Rage II(the last video game ive seen her play is Super Mario Bros), tons of old sound blasters, and of course like twenty lan cards...so im well within my budget....

funnyperson1 (Jul 26, 2001 07:38 p.m.):
lol...my situation isnt that bad....i already have a used monitor, sound card, ethernet, video card, so all i really need is a case and a mobo and a cpu, and a hdd...because she doesnt care about video performance i have an old ATI 3D Rage II(the last video game ive seen her play is Super Mario Bros), tons of old sound blasters, and of course like twenty lan cards...so im well within my budget....

Sounds to me like overclocking may not be neccesarry. Perhaps you could save some money if you went with a mobo that doesnt have overclocking features. That way you could get a better hdd and cpu.

on price watch right now

ASUS A7VE Socket A VIA KT133 Chipset- NO CPU - (A7V-E) NoAudio Accepts Socket A AMD Tbird/Duron 600MHz-1100MHz 5PCI 1AMR 1-4XAGP 3-168pin UDMA/100 200MHz FSB ATX W/O AUDIO $ 80 $12 FedEx 2 Day

Athlon (Tbird) 1GHz Socket A, (200Mhz FSB) - OEM INCLUDES 30DAY DEALER Warranty - 200Mhz FSB $ 79 fedex saver $10

30.7GB 5400RPM EIDE Ultra DMA 66 9MS. 3 YEARS MANUFACTURER WARRANTY $ 69 15.75 UPS INSURED

Future Power ACE ATX MidTower Case,400W UL,Front USB ports,3x5.25,3x3.5, $ 32 16ups

$ 313.75

now is that in your budget???????

I am not a fan of Asus boards, but that is a good price and since your mom prolly doesnt want a system with a whole lot of tweaking options then it should be fine. I think that you should definatly go to with a 7200 rpm drive though. IBM 60 GXP are great, and if you wait about a month the Seagate Baracuda IV's will be more available. Right now only two stores are carrying them, and one is out of stock. They also only have the 60 and 80 gig variety. Since it is supposedly virtually silent your mom should like it. Heres what I would do if you bought right now.

Abit KT7E - $95
IBM 60 GXP 20 gig/ 40 gig ($86 / $105)
Enlight Medium ATX w/300 watt PSU ($50)
Duron 750 Mhz ($33)

All of those prices are from Newegg. It comes to $265 with the 20 gig or $294 with the 40 gig plus shipping. That is gonna be a little over $300 if you want the 40 gig, but looks like a good value system.

thats the thing my mom wants it to be overclocked....she likes the idea that im usefull for something

Well the Abit KT7E and that MSI that william was talking about overclock well, so either of those options should do fine for overclocking. Your mom is very different from mine.

Check out the shuttle AK31. has 4mem slots and multiplier, voltage and fsb settings all in the bios. It uses ddr and it gets really good reviews. In one review they put it up against the Epox 8k7a and it was right behind it all the way. I bought one for 91 bucks from Sunset Marketing and I have no complaints about buying from them. Here is a link to a site with several links to reviews of this board: http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/Shuttle_ak31/. At the least, you should check it out. Happy hunting.

If you want a Socket A mainboard that has everything(built-in AGP Vidcard, decent Soundcard, and good 10/100 LAN card)right out of the box, it's hard to beat the Asus A7S-VM. You can play UT and Half-Life decently if you set aside 32 Mb of RAM for the Vidcard. The audio is plenty good enough, and the LAN card handles a DSL router just fine. Ram is cheap lately, so two DIMM slots isn't a real problem. Crucial PC-133 CL2 runs at CAS2 on a 133 Mhz Memory Bus.

This board has only modest FSB choices: 100, 103, 105, 110, 112, 124, 133, 137, 138, 140 and 150 Mhz. The Core Voltage is autodetected, arrgh. This ain't an OCer's board. It does do a lot for ~$92!

A new economy champ has joined the fray. The Iwill KD266. This mainboard sports the ALi MaGik1 chipset. This chipset lags behind the Via KT133A--but not by a lot. New drivers will close the gap farther. The beauty is that this puppy uses only SDRAM. It has no on-board sound or Vid, and sports an AGP 4x slot. It is overclocker friendly. I found it listed on Pricewatch, for ~$89. Not many e/retailers have this mobo yet. I know that I'm gonna get one. It's also ATX form factor, albeit it's a small mainboard. The Asus A7S-VM is full-sized Micro-ATX.

thanks all, now i need to sort through and look up reviews and stuff...the part im waiting for is the overclocking...:)...this is going to be fun, messing with an unlocked multiplier(im new to amd)..ill porbly get a duron, then ill have to research hs/fans..but my project seems to be going well(and within budget)...oh, does anyone know if the ATI 3D Rage II is AGP or PCI?....i also have a Herclues Dynamite TNT...could i have some suggestions which one to use?

Back