• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Celeron 1.0 vs. 1.4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CUbuster

Registered
How much of a performance boost changing a 1ghz Celeron-T
for a 1.4ghz? I know it would be better to overclock the CPU.
I have tried to overclock to no avail. Runs Prime 95 for hours on end at 1.4ghz 42c no errors. But once it has been shut down for
a few hours, I get a blank screen on bootup. Reset the bios and exit runs great. Until the next shutdown.
Thats why I am asking about swapping out the 1.0 for a 1.4.

What motherboard are you using ?

Have you tried the voltage wire trick ? (See sticky in this section)

Sounds like the mb is probably not getting the voltage bumped
fast enough for post at your higher speed....

Using a Soltek SL-65KV-T with 512 ram now. It has the voltage adjustment up to 1.825. tried up to 1.7 volts did not want to try higher. Also tried AGPx2 and various memory settings. Even changed power supply, rails are good.

I think what 6502kid mean't is that even though you have the voltage set so high in the bios the board still posts using the chips default voltage, so if you use the VID pin trick to make the board think that it has a 1.675V default chip you should find that the machine boots fine. (Note: that if you do do this set the bios back to the chips defaults before you try it). I think by changing to a 1.4 you would see a large performance decrease over a 1gig @ 1.4 because of the lower bus. Just out of interest can you get it to boot properly if the 1gig is overclocked to 1.33Ghz?

1.33ghz. is a little better. Does not boot after a hour or so.
Dud CPU perhaps? Will try wire mod later in the week.

hey nixie,

your systems look really similar to mine----can your 1.0A go more than 1.55 with higher volts? or are you holding it back because of the fsb limits of the memory?

choose a 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 based on your ability to o/c your system...

if memory can handle high fsb's at cas 2 then go with 1.0 or 1.1 and try for 150-160 fsb, if not get a 1.2...and try for 133 to 140 fsb...

If you have generic SDRAM, you can buy Celeron 1.4A tB1 and gamble with 133FSB. Wow !!!..... 2030MHz you know !!!

If you want to be "in the safe side", a Celeron 1.3A tB1 should give you more opportunity running at 133FSB.

The price for Celeron 1.4A I think is cheaper than 512mb CL2 PC133.

Bump the default voltage to 1.650V with VID pin tricks.

i think the safe side might be a 1.2 hitting 133---from what i can tell anything over 1700 (a 1.3 at 133 for ex.) is really rare with these cel-tuallys

NOOO !!! forget Celeron 1.2A... , there is NO Celeron 1.2A manufactured under tB1.... Celeron 1.3A tB1 should be okay with 133FSB and 1.650V treatment. Be brave man.... I'm going to buy Celeron 1.4A too.... and gamble with it at 140FSB (1960MHZ).

Okay dude.... beat my 1.2A tA1 SL68P @ 1740MHz @ 1.650V.
If your tB1 SL6C8 can go higher.... mannn.... I really regret that I didn't check Intel S-Specs first before I bought the chip.

wow, now that is a great chip tA1 or not...

my 1.2 is only stable to 137 fsb with 1.73 volts...with air cooling

so maybe you were better off not to get the tB1 stepping...

asw7576 said:
Okay dude.... beat my 1.2A tA1 SL68P @ 1740MHz @ 1.650V.
If your tB1 SL6C8 can go higher.... mannn.... I really regret that I didn't check Intel S-Specs first before I bought the chip.

My 1.2 tB1 (week 29) does 1740. I have a week 32 1.2 tB1 I'll play with when I have some time.

- JW

now that's a chip i would like to buy off of you? you interested in selling? where did you buy that chip anyway?

i have had 5 chips and the best is 1640...

JCLW said:

My 1.2 tB1 (week 29) does 1740. I have a week 32 1.2 tB1 I'll play with when I have some time.

- JW

JCLW:

Can you tell me what voltage are you using? And also the temp. for CPU.

My temp. is around 43C at 1.650V

Thanks buddy.

sorry to jump into you guys thread but.. since im gonna be getting my cpu from new egg is there a chance i might get a crappy oc'er? i wont be able to pick the stepping obviously..

Back