• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7A266, peices of $#!% , or am I cursed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surlyjoe

I recently got an order spec'ing A7A266's using DDR w/ GFmx400's . out of the 5 that were drop shipped 2 were DOA. of the five systems , all running at default speed , four of them are having stability issues coming out of idle and screen savers , or crashing just sitting there ( they tested fine when built , I burn em in , and check stability , but dont have the space to let em sit all day ) I am not the on site tech on this one , but he is a freind and I have been talkin with him. THEN after reading Kyles review at [H]ardocp ,I am starting to think it's the P3v4x all over again. ..........;.... Are there any sytem builders out there that are having the same probs with this board , or is it just the the UpAvolt curse? TIA! surlyjoe

i got the same board and use the PC2100 ram but i still can't reach anything past 127FSB with my D700. Also it is very unstable with a 200FSB chip i hear that they run better with the 266. you might wana try the 1006.001 bios for it. it helped mine out a little.

I've been running it for around a month or so now. I've had very good luck so far. Although I'm only using SDram at the moment. But the board is very stable and pretty fast to for me. A lot more stable then my BE6-II ever was.

You guys must have some bad luck, because mine has been running fine since the second i got it.

Went straight into overclocking, and no stability problems.

I even have the second highest score @ madonion.com for a duron/VooDoo3.

I'm begining to see ghosts of the P3v4x here . one is great and the next is crap. out of 5 identical machines, 1 is fine , and the other 4 all have somekind of problem, 2 seem like they are pretty much the same probs. and they are the 2 that replaced the DOA ones, They are running 1.33@266 w/ PC2100 , rev 1005 , I'll try the 1006, but I think I'll prolly convince them to trade them for a 761 board anyway. Too bad , I used to love asus boards , but hopefully I wont be asked to use them again :p

surlyjoe (Aug 02, 2001 11:37 p.m.):
I'm begining to see ghosts of the P3v4x here . one is great and the next is crap. out of 5 identical machines, 1 is fine , and the other 4 all have somekind of problem, 2 seem like they are pretty much the same probs. and they are the 2 that replaced the DOA ones, They are running 1.33@266 w/ PC2100 , rev 1005 , I'll try the 1006, but I think I'll prolly convince them to trade them for a 761 board anyway. Too bad , I used to love asus boards , but hopefully I wont be asked to use them again :p

might be a DDR voltage problem :( i just added heatsinks to my DDR tonight and it increased my stability incredibly! For a chiped Duron 700 I think it is doing pretty well to be at 933 (7*133) @ 1.7 vcore right now. 8)

I just found a jumper to controll the dimm voltage! If you have the revision with the 10 dips then use the JP at the end of the AGP to adgust the ram voltages. I think atlest, might wana cross cheak this with asus.
and my DDR ram is Crusical

Ram heatsinks working REALLY WELL!!!!!!!! :) i just hit 1008MHZ!! (143*7) with my D700 @ 1.85 (don't ask how i got 1.85 volts it just appeared for some reason)
now i can't wait to get my thermalright sk6 :) curent idle temp 47C

Where I work, I have built about 4 computers with A7A266 boards. 2 had freezing problems. I linked it down to the DDR memory (ours was Micron), tried Samsung, same problem. Replaced with Micron PC133 Ram, and all was well.

I've been thinking about buying a stick of DDR with in the next few weeks. But I've been hearing about problems on the A7A with some DDR. I'm getting a little skeptical now. Seems like it's the luck of the draw.

bdf24 (Aug 03, 2001 05:18 a.m.):
I've been thinking about buying a stick of DDR with in the next few weeks. But I've been hearing about problems on the A7A with some DDR. I'm getting a little skeptical now. Seems like it's the luck of the draw.

Well not realy. Could be just how much heat some of the DDR ram puts out! cause mine couldn't even do 128MHz FSB before i put the ram sinks on.

Well I think it's BS that they sell ram rated at 2100 or 133 DDR ram and it wont do over 125mhz cause it runs to hot! Then the manufacturer should supply ram sinks right out of the factory.

I have Asus A7A MB and my PC freezes from time to time.. However Did anyone of you experienced this problem where your Voltage would Suddenly Drop for a Split second and than went back up .. Or you Temperature Jumpped to 103 degrees C !! yes not K, only for a second and than went back to normal ???

I got my fidrst temp spike today while loading Q3 :) and I have also noticed that once in a while it will have a split second drop in voltage. This is defanatly a board problem because i have 600WATT's going into this board!

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to tell ya! My heatsink cooled DDR hit 150FSB with the duron700 :) (7*150)

cookedcomp (Aug 03, 2001 06:38 p.m.):
I got my fidrst temp spike today while loading Q3 :) and I have also noticed that once in a while it will have a split second drop in voltage. This is defanatly a board problem because i have 600WATT's going into this board!

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to tell ya! My heatsink cooled DDR hit 150FSB with the duron700 :) (7*150)

Hmm .. At first I did not think that was a problem, but I read a review of A7A board, got the link from amdzone.com and the reviewer wrote that he had the same problem, and it coused the board to Crush.. So they called Asus and got new one.. If so I will probably call Asus and request RMA... I have Old version of A7A so hopefully they will give me 10 dip switch version..

By the way did your PC freez while playing some games or Using PC for a while.. Mine does, and I think that the board is at fault.. I reinstalled practically everything, still the problem occurs.......

I sent an Email to Asus Tech, few days have passed and Those MORONs still did not answer.. Iwill tech rep was MUCH better........

fortunatly these boards were spec'd by an integrator , I would have felt like dung if I had reccommended them. It doesnt sound like they are ALL bad , but definetly not what you want to put into a system you don't want to see or hear about for 6-8 months. luckily he has decided to swap them out for a different board

Back