• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Higher Vcore Worth It!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rj2

Registered
i ask this ? for this reason. i have an abit bd7ii raid board
p4 1.8a.the highest i have had it stable is at 138 fsb=2.484ghz.+15%voltage.
will doing the volt mod,whether it is with conductive paint on the socket,the chip,or wire wrapping,the chip,uneqivically allow me a higher stable overclock,i am not holding my breath for a bios from abit with more vcore,tho i do not see why they dont put one out,seeing as the bioses they are putting out for the it7 series,have more vcore options.thnx for your 2 cents

Well I change cpu about every 3-6 month so I dont really care about the vcore :)
And good overclocking Intel cpus are not that expensive(2.26-2.53 mhz).
So let it burn :D
One thing...higher vcore doesnt mean you can go higher.
Every cpu has its limits and sometimes going from 1.7v --> 1.8v+ doesnt make any difference at all.

for me, even my 1.8 is very expensive in my poor country :mad:

so, for me it's not worth to risk it without extreme cooling like good WC or vapo :(

i forgot to add:

i must say to be sorry 'bout your chip... it sucks :( mine B0 works now at 2.4 on standard voltage set in bios :cool:

if you are worried about killing your CPU, DO NOT raise the Vcore over 10%. The risk starts to pop up in the 10-15% range. and the 15-20% range is VERY dangerios. Anything over 20%, if you dont hvae supper cooling and you can not afford a new CPU, dont do it.

aceton said:
i forgot to add:

i must say to be sorry 'bout your chip... it sucks :( mine B0 works now at 2.4 on standard voltage set in bios :cool:

And why does his chip suck? 2.48GHz is a nice overclock.
no 2 CPU's are the same and no 2 CPU's overclock the same.
I would say you just got VERY lucky if your 1.8A can do that @ stock Vcore

well, almost every one must say that they're very lucky because almost every 1.8 get 2.4 with standard voltage. it's not anything special. believe me, i thought so, until i've seen many infos making me feel worse - my chip is VERY usual :(

aceton said:
well, almost every one must say that they're very lucky because almost every 1.8 get 2.4 with standard voltage. it's not anything special. believe me, i thought so, until i've seen many infos making me feel worse - my chip is VERY usual :(

many early 1.8A's couldnt even hit 133FSB
only the later batch could. So it really depends on the manufacturing date...
look at the CPU DataBase and you will see most needed a bost in Vcore to hit 133FSB stable

rj2 said:
i ask this ? for this reason. i have an abit bd7ii raid board
p4 1.8a.the highest i have had it stable is at 138 fsb=2.484ghz.+15%voltage.
will doing the volt mod,whether it is with conductive paint on the socket,the chip,or wire wrapping,the chip,uneqivically allow me a higher stable overclock,i am not holding my breath for a bios from abit with more vcore,tho i do not see why they dont put one out,seeing as the bioses they are putting out for the it7 series,have more vcore options.thnx for your 2 cents
what is your fpo/batch code on the chip?? that will tell us more about your cpu.;)

rj2 said:
howdy people.box reads as follows
pack date 2\10\2002
FPO/BATCH L201A689
SCODE-SL63X
That is one of the older chips, so 2.4-2.5 is quite common max OC. The BD7II undervolts so when you set it to +15% you are really only running at about 1.68-1.70vcore, which is ok to run for a couple of years.

When you take it over the 1.70v for the vcore, you will shorten the life and increase the possibility of burning up the chip. Over 1.80v and you could last a few weeks or maybe a few months - Then poof. :eek:

If you are stable at the 2.484 with +15%, I would suggest that you leave it alone. The pin wrap will most likely not give you more that 100Mhz and that sure is not worth frying the chip.

thnx for all the replies & opinions.much appreciated.i am perfectly happy staying 1-2 years behind everthing that comes out new.it is a lot cheaper that way & just as enjoyable.
i have right now besides the board & chip,ocz pc3200 ram512mb
seagate barracuda 5 ata 100 /80 gig HD.
DD maze3,eheim1250,1\2 inch clearflex60,hommade res
case is a chenming 901A top window-120mm panaflo
big side window 120mm panaflo
six drive bays all full,cdrom,cdrw,dual display compunurses,sunbeam rheobus,homemade control center for 2 more rheos,switch for 2nd psu,hd & act leds.
matrix orbital lcd-led flashes on the panel for email notify
3 cathodes 2 blue\1 green
main enermax psu has a blue acrylic cover with the 92mm quad blue led fan.i know i went off topic here,but hey what the hell,i dont have a digicam so no pix.thnx again

Back