• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP Pro or Home edition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zazuk

Not to sure what the big differences between Windows XP Pro and Home editions are.

1) Is Pro worth the extra money?

2) If so then why?

I found a link in O/C forums for Win XP Home full version OEM for $62.50 with free 2 day shipping. So I'm wondering if I should go with the home version.

If you're going w/ XP, I'd go w/ the Pro version. It'll be less restrictive, you won't have to play around w/ it as much to have all the features available to you.

IMO, Pro editions provide more stability and better options.

Soy

stability? it just has added bussiness and network features and IIs that basicly all

stability in terms of less likely to crash...from what I've experienced, Pro Editions don't crash as much as Home Editions...

Soy

I think AltecXP wants to fist fight you, Nerdlogic :(

AltecXP... nerdlogic is right. You say it only has added features for business and networking. Well another way to look at it is, these added "features" provide more stability to their respective applications.

Hahaa... you guys are funny... I take it you say it to all the girls on the forum?

i have a hpme server running xp home ad it has never crashed, its been running for about 3 months and i burn cd's on it constantly, with out problemi really see no difference stability wise, only that pro has adins made for hosting and home dosent

ive always used pro, partly cause i am a pro ;) but umm i dont reccomend XP Pro or Home, i think win 2000 pro is MUCH better, as far as stiblity and what not, although i would reccomend updating the hell out of it once its running...

For non tech people XP home is fine (kind of like AOL) But if you are involved in more than surfing the net and running basic apps, them Pro is definitely better.

I bought a copy of Home because I'd heard how stable it was and since I can't go a day without tweaking or installing/uninstalling several programs I thought it would work. WRONG. I crashed it 5 times the first day I had it running.

Went out and bought Pro and the only way I've been able to crash it is hardware (OCing too far so MOBO locks up during boot) or with conflicting NVidia video card drivers (but that another topic entirely )

Also bought a book called Windows XP inside out and every other page has something like "but this feature is only found in the pro version" or "this feature disabled in the home version"

There is a world of difference between the two if you are the least bit computer literate. I would definitely advise sticking with XP Pro.

DWolf:cool:

i read that XP in general has "raw sockets support" which somehow allows programs to connect to the internet without you knowing. in XP home all programs are given 'system' access. the highest priority allowed where in XP you can change a programs access privledges so you can prevent misc. programs from connecting to the net.

nerdlogic said:
IMO, Pro editions provide more stability and better options.

Soy
it also seems to be a little quicker to me, I dunno how that could be but it is.

DDR-PIII said:

it also seems to be a little quicker to me, I dunno how that could be but it is.

Probably because it has less "new computer user"/"not-so-knowledgeable computer user" wizards & other bloats.

Soy

w2k will hide your system files by default but you can change the viewing properties so they show.

Will xp let you do this or has Redmond decided the end user hasn't the right to see those files?

Back