• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator keeps on getting full of dust....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

About every week or 2 my rad is full of dust that my temps go up at least 2C do you guys have hit your rad with a can of air every now and then. It seems like it just keps clogged all the time. If i put a filter in front of the fan it would kill my air flow and give me horrible temps. Just wondered if I was alone hehe

You can get one of those Hepa air filters for your room. If your room has no dust, then your rad wont have dust =)

My home is full of dust too, I live right in the middle of the city, and i'm on the 2nd floor and also my window is faced at an intersection. You can imagine all the busy cars going by driving all that dust up here.

A foam fan filter won't kill your airflow. I use them on my watercooled rigs but I still have to blow out the radiator every six months.

I use pantyhose on my rad and it seems to stop any larger dust particles from geting into my rad....I still have to dust off the pantyhose layer and blow the smaller pieces of dust that can get through. This setup seems to help a little...Dust is hard to keep out.

yes panty hose will work..:)

it dosent really kill airflow(the flow of the air feels the same w/out the filter) if you put the filtering device if u put it a few inches behind the fan..

I am putting a hepa style furnace filter over one side of my radiator and having the fan on the other side pulling the air. Shouldn't have to change it but twice a year.

I'm using the green pad trick, got a package of ten at the 99cent store. When they get dirty, throw 'em in the washer or dishwasher Heck at that price, just throw 'em away.

steve

I work in commercial highrise buildings and I just snagged and cut up a BGE filter used to filter OAT in most types of makeup and induction units as well as compartment units. They are coated with some special type of sticky gunk used specifically to trap dust and airborne particles. Because of the sticky gunk, the filter does not have to be as dense and thus, has almost no restriction. I got a 20x25 filter from where I work and it's good enough to provide me with about 3 filters when cut up. A filter lasts me about 6 months to a year.

I know they sell them at hardware stores and they're not expensive. I can't remember the exact industry term for them, i'll try to remember to check next time i'm in and i'll post it here.

Edit: The filter is about an inch think of white fibres and a paper thin, but more dense, yellow layer.

Back