• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sygate Personal Firewall help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

I saw many people recomending this firewall so i downloadedd it and installed it but i have no idea of all the popup's and what they mean

okay till its kazaa and iexplore and all its fine but i get random popup's like ICMP sending and stuff how should i know which things to block and which things not to block?

I dont know about SYGATE but in Zone Alarm, one can set it to go into learning mode and at least you will only have to answer some of those pop-ups once, depending on your desires. I am sure their instructions will be helpful and the best I can say now is to let everything go through until you know what your looking at.

Some various services need to run to establish and maintain a connection to your network and/or ISP. I can only say its a learning process that has to happen on your own but of course with a little help. You will recieve many notices and you will begin to become familiar with all of them. It will also inform you, well Zone Alarm does, of programs accessing the net and allow you the discretion of choosing which ones to let access and which ones do not get access.

That at least is for Zone Alarm, again I am not familiar with the Sygate one. Zone Alarm is very intuitive in its controls and functions and its Help is great. I hope your prog is as easy to use, and if not DL Zone Alarm and have a ball.

I wish you luck and, please, list any specific pop-ups with which you are very unsure about.

Your running on a XP machine, as I use Sygate on a 98 and dont get anywhere near the number of popups that my friends XP computer gets. XP runs a bunch of services in the background, most of which can be ignored. You just gotta look up the service and see what its used for. The next time you get a unknown popup, search for the name in google and you sould get a couple of hits that explain what the program does. If you need it, then allow the traffic so you dont get the popup anymore. If its useless, then of course, deny it.

ahh thanks for the tip it even gives me popup's when i am not connected especially there is one popup when i disconnect and one popup when windows login something to do with svhost.exe or something like that

Kendan said:
For service info go to www.blackviper.com He made a very good guide explainiing all of them and which ones you cann shut down.

I highly reccomend BlackViper's guide. Besides the reduced popups, it also ehlped me trim 75MB of useless garbage off of my page file usage.:)

one question i got this strange request i blocked it

Explorer.exe was trying to access a remote site you guys think someone is trying to access my computer? sorry to sound dumb but i never though that i might be a victim on dialup :rolleyes:

You may have a trojan....happened to me when I was on dialup...

Soy

I believe Explorer is set to access the Microsoft website to be ready to provide internet support, as is the Help prog.

They are probably gathering info about user habits and what not...
who knows...

PsYcO CyBrArIaN said:
I believe Explorer is set to access the Microsoft website to be ready to provide internet support, as is the Help prog.

Thats exactly what it is doing. Also, in WinXP, it allows native Internet searching (WinKey + F) integrated into the search tool. :)

Back