• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dialup in RedHat 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Preface: I am logged in with a dialup account using RH 8 posting this.

BUT- I have a confusing situation:

I have tried using the Internet Configuration Wizard (blech!)
I have tried setting kppp up manually

I can connect using kppp but dns information does not make it into the system and I cannot browse, etc.

I am successfully connecting by going into "System Settings", "Network" and manually activating the modem.
????
While this does seem to work fine, it does NOT seem to be a good solution- I am not sure how well it will work with multiple locations, etc.

The problem seems to just be getting dns info into the system correctly, but I do not quite understand.

Anybody have a clue they would like to share? ;)

You'll need to edit your /etc/resolv.conf file. You need to add this line nameserver ***.***.***.*** where the stars are replaced with the ip address of the nameserver that you will be using.

This was a timely post, as I had to do this yesterday, so the info was still fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the quick reply-
Done, but not fixed :(
I added the dns info from the dialup ISP under the 2 that were already there:

loopback
LAN gateway
nameserver1
nameserver2
(Perhaps I need to change the order?)

I tried connecting to an ip address as well but I get a "connection refused" error.

You might try changing the order and see if that helps. Another thing to check out is disabling you lan card, ie #ing them from the init scripts, and then rebooting. If your lan card gets activated with an ip address upon boot, you computer will be unable to route packets when you get you dialup ip address because it won't know where to send them. There is a way around this, but you have to mess with routing tables, etc. and I was too lazy to read all of the documentation on how to do it, since it was so much easier to just remove the info about the lan card in the init scripts.

If none of that works, then don't feel so bad because you will join the ranks of thousands of others who can't get dialup to work under linux. :)

edit: A good read out be the PPP-HOWTO, and the Linux Network Administrator's Guide (NAG). You can get them both off www.tldp.org. Both of them contain good info on how you might get PPP to work.

I guess I will live with it, at least for now;)

I am fortunate in that it DOES work, I just have to do it in a slightly funky way.

And one thing to hope for: When I finally finish this project and intall the operating systems (Win2K and RH 8) maybe RedHat will set it up right all by itself.............:D

Yeah right!!!

Thanks for the help man.

Back