• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.0 Stock Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigAir

I have a stock p4 2.0 ghz with a stock cheapo coolmaster fan. First of all, the fan mounts real loose. is this normal? Second, I am getting temps around 55c in the bios. Those are pretty high right? Should I change my stock cheapo fan out?

There is a sticker that I believe has the date on it that is stuck on the face of the CPU. I am afraid that if I remove it my warranties will be voided. I am afraid that the sticker is what is keeping my temps up so high. Should I remove it?

Last edited:
oh i have no idea about why they would put a sticker there i think you should go ask them if u can remove it to be on the safe side *EDIT*lol u cant ask them sorry*EDIT*

<vent> I should add that I got it from Econo PC after quite a long ordeal with Accubyte... I don't think Accubyte gives a rats behind about their customers... I bought some stuff from them and it didn't show up in the mail.. So I called them to find out that these parts are no longer in stock and I have to pay more for different parts. Well duh! It took them so long to ship them that anything would get outdated. They didn't even care to notify me that they didn't have the parts I ordered even after telling me they would be in the mail. What losers... </Vent>

*Goes to find a razor blade and arctic silver*
BTW, How tight should the HSF fit on the CPU? (Sorry, I am more of an AMD guy)

BigAir said:
There is a sticker that I believe has the date on it that is stuck on the face of the CPU. I am afraid that if I remove it my warranties will be voided. I am afraid that the sticker is what is keeping my temps up so high. Should I remove it?

50C+ is way too hot for idle temps...

what does the sticker say?
it shouldnt be there, so just take it out...
and get some good thermal paste...

BigAir said:
*Goes to find a razor blade and arctic silver*
BTW, How tight should the HSF fit on the CPU? (Sorry, I am more of an AMD guy)

Very tight. With intel's integrated heat spreader, it's pretty hard to damage the chip by applying too much pressure with the HS.

Well, I would say that if you shook the mobo with the cpu the HSF wouldnt move, but if you put a bit of pressure of the HSF, it will turn and move. It is interesting because I can put pressure on the HSF while the unit is running and the temps go from 55c to 54 53 52.. and then I let go and they spring back to 55... I am going to try the CPU minus the sticker right now... I will post in a minute the results. Thanks guys!

Ok, I am seeing sustained bios temps of 45c.. What is my goal here? I did a quick lap on the heat sink and cleaned that factory gunk off of it and applied arctic silver... Any more suggestions?

Back