• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about the eheim 1250?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snyper1982

can this pump be submerged? if so i was wondering why they also make a submersible pump. and what the difference is in them.

Yes, it can, but for the life of me, I don't know why someone would want to watercool a PC using a submersed pump. Inline works very well and is less complicated. The 1250 is an excellent choice for a pump whether you choose inline or reservoir/submerged.

Hoot

wouldnt it take up less room if the pump were submeresed in the res? that would make sense to me.

Ive got a 1250

Ive got an Ehiem pump 1250 it can run either inline or submersible!! But the Pump would be big to place inside your case in a surrounding resovoir also it will heat up your water a little on its own. Mine is submersed in a 25 gallon water tank so size is of no concern.

i have a 1250 running inline and when i touch it i can feel the heat coming off of it, i would NEVER run this pump underwatter 2 much heat for me

The pump is big, so if you surround it by a reservior it will take up to much space, and as everybody else has said the pump does gets warm, so I don't think you want to run it in a submerged setup. Currently, from a thermal probe I have stuck on the pump it is running at 33.9C with an ambient of 27.2C (DD5 readings) and this is with my 120mm fan cooling my rad blowing on it. Now if you plan on running the reservior external in like a fish tank type config where you have a lot of water it will be fine. The Eheim pumps are general purpose hobbist pumps, there made to be run inline or submerged.

I currently own an Eheim1250 and my temp in the case never gets under 30 due to the lot of heat that the eheim emitts.

Just thinking to change the 1250 for a 1048 runs cooler takes less space and has almost the same performance.

Hoot any suggestions on this decision?

i dig my 1250, very strong pump, it does produce a bit of heat. so submersing i think is not such a good idea for this pump. it is very large, and most of us have seen that resevoirs are a non-necessity so long as you have a bleed/fill tube set up properly. good airflow through the case is still important even in the best w/c setups. so keep the airflow good and run the pump in-line.
good luck

J.

Yeah I'd prefer inline too, but I can't affirm the stories about the 1250 emitting so much heat. Mine is only slightly warm. Northbridge temp, which I use as an indirect indicator of case temp, ranges from 23 to 28C...

GoingH2o said:
I currently own an Eheim1250 and my temp in the case never gets under 30 due to the lot of heat that the eheim emitts.

Just thinking to change the 1250 for a 1048 runs cooler takes less space and has almost the same performance.

Hoot any suggestions on this decision?

If all you are water cooling is the CPU, go for it. If the 1250 is causing your case temperature to run higher than without the 1250, then you don't have enough thru-case airflow. Though my 1250 gives off a lot more heat than my 1048, it does not raies the case temperature at all.

Hoot

1048 is a good little pump

I would think so its a good little pump and quite powerful!

Also i think some of you are blowing the 1250s heat problem a little out of proportion ?

For a little test last night i stuck my ehiem in a small bucket of water and my new waterblock testing!

It was Distilled water that has been sitting at room temp!
i ran it all night!
Now this morning i opened the lid and put a thermometer in again
possibly a 1C rise since yesterday ??? but maybe it was just external air temps..

Although the test is far from exact and maybe the water was cooling through the block quite possible LOL.

but things like?

"I currently own an Eheim1250 and my temp in the case never gets under 30 due to the lot of heat that the eheim emitts."

How hot is ambient air and do you have any case fans?or just rad extracters. Im assuming an in case Rad = Heat wastage etc and also what are you measuring these temps with ? alot of motherboard sensors give you freaky readings if you dont give them air movement my old board used to give me temps of 40C with the chip water cooled yet the true temp was closer to 28C (just trapped warm air). Also I would think unless water cooled your Graphics card adds more heat to case temp than the Ehiem drawing all of 18 watts if that (cant remeber exact as box is kinda burnt LOL) I just feel posts like this are giving some people the wrong impression, Take a Danner 500gph pump which i sold to my m8 (glad now as its makes clicking noises) that used to put out lots of heat in comparison and was significantly noisyer?

Hmmm this post was a waste Hoot did it in 2 lines LOL

still ide rather have the pump inline, you would have to use a big bucket next to the pc to fit the 1250 in it

Re: 1048 is a good little pump

woodenman80 said:
I would think so its a good little pump and quite powerful!

Also i think some of you are blowing the 1250s heat problem a little out of proportion ?

For a little test last night i stuck my ehiem in a small bucket of water and my new waterblock testing!

It was Distilled water that has been sitting at room temp!
i ran it all night!
Now this morning i opened the lid and put a thermometer in again
possibly a 1C rise since yesterday ??? but maybe it was just external air temps..

Although the test is far from exact and maybe the water was cooling through the block quite possible LOL.

but things like?

"I currently own an Eheim1250 and my temp in the case never gets under 30 due to the lot of heat that the eheim emitts."

How hot is ambient air and do you have any case fans?or just rad extracters. Im assuming an in case Rad = Heat wastage etc and also what are you measuring these temps with ? alot of motherboard sensors give you freaky readings if you dont give them air movement my old board used to give me temps of 40C with the chip water cooled yet the true temp was closer to 28C (just trapped warm air). Also I would think unless water cooled your Graphics card adds more heat to case temp than the Ehiem drawing all of 18 watts if that (cant remeber exact as box is kinda burnt LOL) I just feel posts like this are giving some people the wrong impression, Take a Danner 500gph pump which i sold to my m8 (glad now as its makes clicking noises) that used to put out lots of heat in comparison and was significantly noisyer?

Hmmm this post was a waste Hoot did it in 2 lines LOL

Nex time ill ask you before i post question so i dont make posts that are not worthed.
My question was a simple one will the 1048 handle the cpu and gpu block?

:eek:

I initially ran my 1250 inline inside the case until I got tired of different reserviors leaking. Then I threw it into a big bucket of juice(Distilled H2O with Watterwetter).

I knew the pump gave off heat but I was hoping the 2.5 gallons of fluid would somehow dissipate the heat. Wrong. It just took longer for the water to get to operating temp.

I just redid my case (got a Lite-on FS-020) and put the pump back inside the case inline. My temps have dropped 5-7 degrees and I'm only running my fans at 50%.

That's my testamonial - go inline. Yes, its easier to bleed the system if the pump is submerged. But unless you have some artificial way of cooling the reservior the pump is in, its not worth it.

just exactly how big is the 1250? i have never actualy seen one, i assumed it was pretty small, anyone got any pics with it inside the case so i could get an idea? thanks guys.

Back