• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Doom or Quake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hatecc

Both games are of comparable caliber in my opinion.

You have your uber midi with Doom

You've got your killer NIN with Quake.

You got your really pixelated screen with Final Doom :)

and you got your highly detailed(as compared to Doom) action in Quake

You have the classic weapons in Doom

Then there are the cool weapons in Quake, the nailguns, grenade launcher, lightning gun...

The ever annoying, can't aim your gun or jump in Doom

and of course being able to jump and aim in Quake...

etc....

So which one is your favorite? Doom or the original quake?

Personally i like Doom better, but it sure is close.

Last edited:
Doom just has more of a beat the crap out of a monster feel to it I can't explain why maybe it's the fact that the dude at the bottom of the page gets his face beat the more damage you have or maybe it's the sprites(I'm an SNES fanatic) but comparin Quake I to any of the dooms is just no contest to me

marathon, the story would eat both games for breakfast :) plus akimbo .45 magnums who could resist, ohh and the lighting effects put doom to shame

(yes im a rabid mac gamer)

You guys know that there have been alot of re-releases of Doom that add jumping and freelooking. Doom rocks for the double-barreled shotgun I think.

no i didn't?

i knew of the new quake engine, but hadn't heard of the doom jump and aim add-ons.

But then again, jumping in Doom, is cheating in some parts, the devs designed it so you had to get on platforms in certain ways, if you can jump, you bypass part of the level, the part that a dev put in to the game.

now i know most don't care, but just saying.

Quake has the nail gun, and Trent Rezner (Nine Inch Nails) did the soundtrack for the game, and did some of the soundeffects. and Quake is definately revolutionary in gameplay especially being able to jump and aim in complete 3D. And i still remember when I first played this game. i dont remember when I first played doom.

But doom does have the cyber demon which has to be the greatest boss in FPS history

mz_cyber.jpg

yeah the Windows version of doom has the aiming and jumping...

but doom cameout when i was in 7th grade..... and quake when i was like 10th I think....

i had a 386 sx16 with 2mb ram.. i couldn't run the game i was SOO MAD.... when i did get more ram, it ran and i had to shrink the screen to get the fps up... later i got a 386dx40.. so it ran ok..

when i had quake i was running a P133. when Direct3d just came out, and later got a firstgen 3dfx card......

so it's hardly a comparison... BUT i remember being much more impressed with Doom at the time than i was with quake..

yeah it was 3d and all, but it was too squarish....
i had more fun playing Wolf3d,Doom and Doom2, and Rise of the Triad, they were more umm "rounded" for lack of a better word

quake was rather disapointing :/ tho i did like it's DM value

The Windows version of Doom didn't have the aiming or jumping.

It was after Doom was gpl'd, people made modifications of it. Things like Doom Legacy and JDoom added features that nothing from id ever had. Like jumping and aiming.

id's Doom, even the promotional Windows port, didn't look like this:

id's Quake, even with hardware GL, didn't look like this:
quake93.jpg

Back