• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eeek IRQ madness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IZON

under start / run / then type => msinfo32 (& enter) I was able to see IRQ conflicts. IRQ 5 on my AMD rig is sharing 12, yes 12! items. No wonder I keep getting random results whenever I try to set up my 2 pc network.

Here's what's on IRQ 5
GFX card
3Com Lan
Nvidia MCP (south bridge)
Nvidia USB control
Nvidia PC systems management
ACPI IRQ PCI steering X 6

IRQ 11
firewire
Nividia soundstorm
Nvidia USB control
ACPI IRQ PCI steering X 5
How would I go about putting the 3Com Lan onto a less busy IRQ channel ?

One thing that can help is to disable any unused ports in your BIOS settings. If you don't use the serial or parallel ports, disable them to free their IRQ's. If your BIOS has a setting for assigning an IRQ to USB, and your USB will work without it, disable it. If you use a USB mouse, you may be able to free an IRQ by disabling PS/2 mouse support in the BIOS.

Discovered an old protocol - NetBeui, it's self configuring and also has network and domain control protocols, it assists TCP/IP so I've got the best of both worlds. It's not affected by the IRQ conflicts.

Back