• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump creates more heat than i thought.... mkay!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMightyBuck

Banned for being a BAD TRADER aka a Troll
before installing my system, i let it run for the last two days without the cooling fan on, and when i took the temp of the water, it was 9 degrees F above ambient. i have about 3 quarts of water in my system, ,and two heat exchangers, a heatercore, and a radiator that i set up for low flowrate. is this normal for a pump to throw off that much heat? it's a fountain pump that i got from the hardware store? are there any techniques to avoid this? btw, after turning fans on, water temp lowered to ambient in less than 30 mins.

and 2...

are there any techniques for making a pump quiter? mine sits in a resevoir.... either dampening it... lining the windtunnel case with foam?

any suggestions much appreciated!

thanks.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/themight...order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

copy and paste link. it's funky, if u click on it, some people say it doesn't werk. or go to http://photos.yahoo.com/themightybuck and click on "rig setup"

9C with just the pump running and nothing to cool it that seems to be normal for that setup. You have to remember that nothing was cooling off the water the whole time and the closed loop just kept getting warmer since nothing was cooling it. If you get ok temps with it all installed and the fan turned on dont worry about it.

This is totally normal... when i bleed my system (and i have used many different pumps) the water always gets warm with no fans running on the rad.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but is your pump submerged? I guess it is since you said that it was sitting "in" a reservoir.

I'm not the most experienced around, but I'd say that inline is always better than submerged. Your pump will transfer more heat to the water when submerged, by way of the water contacting the pump housing.

actually, i just got back from watching the marquette kentucky ncaa game, (****ed off, btw) and i saw that with the fans on (4 80mm fans pulling ambient air through a shroud) the temp was in the mid 90's. does anyone have any experience with a fountain pump? i have two heat exchangers goin' and i can't figure out why it can't handle the heat....

will less flow restriction lessen the heat dissipated by the pump? that's one of my concerns, because the second radiatior has small fittings and really restricts flow like a motherf*cker, that's why i have a T with half going to that rad, and half goin' to the resevoir. i also filled the resevoir again, it was gettin' pretty low.

any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

do eheims throw off less heat?

if i modified my pump to be in-line, would that help my situation?

thanx

Back