• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s and 137 gb hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

champdog

I just bought my 160 gb maxtor hard drive and when i started to format it, i got a message about data loss. It said that i would lose data over 137 gb. Does that mean forever, or is there some way I could format it now, and download the microsoft sp1 later which is supposed to support it, and it will work?

Also, I need a boot disk to install my new hard drive. How do I make one? (I have an old hard drive with xp running. I just don't know how to make a boot disk).

Thanks for your help. I really hope I don't have to lose the other 23 gb on my hard drive :(

generally the size limit is first an issue with your BIOS, then with the OS. WinXP should have an option in the add/remove programs section to make a bootdisk (but not too familiar with XP so not sure). Why not try downloading SP1 first then installing the HDD? But I still think its a BIOS isue. cause on the paperwork I got with my WD200Gig it said that many older boards do not support drives larger than 137 w/o extra drivers/updates (hence why the drive came a with a little IDE controller), tho my board could support it, so it all really depends.

Back