• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DMZ Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have a D-Link DI-614 router with my main Comp. and a new server wired to it. I also have a laptop on a wireless connection connected to it. I have some files on the desktop and laptop set up as shared. The "server" is not a true server. It has Win2K Adv. Server on it but I will be using it to host MOHAA and BF1942 games on the internet mainly using no-ip.com. I might backup some MP3's to it as well.

Here is my question, since I share files on the workgroup would a hacker be easily able to hit my other comps if I put the server on the router in DMZ mode. This basically exposes the server to the internet which does not bother me bc it does not have any sensititive info on it. But it can access sensititive info on my desktop through shared files. All other computers run Win XP Pro, Norton AV, and Zone Alarm Pro.

Thanks

The 614 has a great little SOHO firewall in it. If you hung your server off of the DMZ, you could deny access to everything from the WAN except the ports that are needed to host your games.

Furthermore, you could also allow access between your DMZ to your LAN through the rules you set up for your LAN so you'd still be protected.

Since most of your incoming ports will be blocked, hacker threat is significantly decreased, and therefore, you should be fine.

Wedo

I was thinking more like just allow or opening the ports that are required for the server and leave the server behind the firewall...just "port forward" to the IP addy of the server

I'd go with port forwarding. Yer still behind the firewall and you can specify everything a tad bit easier without having to worry about running the risk of someone finding yer machine hanging outside on the DMZ.

Flexy

Back