• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer crashing on small load- Most likely Memory related

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richardjohn31

Registered
I got my new AMD2400+, 1GB DDR 2700 Memory, Abit KD7 KT400. I can boot up and get into Windows but as soon as I load up something, it will just crash, no error and I will have to restart.

What speed should it be running at, at the moment it displays 333, is that right? I've tried setting it to 166mhz but I can't find anything in the bios to change it.

Does anyone know how to change the memory speed on the Abit KD7 KT400?

Is everything running at stock speeds?

Have you tried reseating all your components?

Also, have you tried running memtest86? I'd give memtest a try to see if we can isolate the problem.

-- Paul

Take them out and try them woth some thing else a elimate which chip it is, and if you cant any thing in the BIOS you may need to update it to get some more settings..

I've tried both sticks and it's still crashing, I read a similar thread about this and they said that it would work fine if they ran the memory at 133mhz, problem is I can't find any way to change it in the bios.

Yes, you might need a BIOS update with more advanced features.

Have you tried setting the FSB at 133? -- Paul

Well when my computer is booting up, it will display 233mhz, thats as low as I can get it, but if I clear the cmos and boot it up it will display 200mhz, but it will tell me something about the softmenu, when I exit the cmos + saving, it will display it as 333mhz.

I'll try a bios update now- anything I should know about updating the bios before hand because i've never done it?

Back