• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speaker upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oppajer

hi guys, well first of all i'm running on the cambridge soundworks 4.1 right now. it's about 5 years old and i think it's time for an upgrade. i would really like to utilize the spdif out from my computer, but not sure which set of sound systems have spdif in. i've been to best buy a couple times and never saw the spdif in in any of their speakers, dunno why....but yah suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh yah i'm going to be using it to play music, games and watch DVD's. thanks again.

I have a Klipsch ProMedia THX 5.1, pair with Audigy 2, the sound quality is amazing

should be enough for you to last another 5 years :p

(for me, I don't think I'll use the same set up for over 2 years)

it all depends on your budget. If you can afford it, id choose the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's (Decoder is sold seperatly)

I couldn't afford that, so i went with the Z680's (decoder included)

I made my decision with some help from tom :)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030108/index.html

I couldn't deceide between the Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 550 5.1 and the Logitec Z 680's. Again the fact that Cambridge believes speakers should be just that - speakers, not a home theatre, doesn't include a decoder either. right now compuplus has the z 680's for $235 + shipping.

Hope this helps.

nitewulf said:
it all depends on your budget. If you can afford it, id choose the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's (Decoder is sold seperatly)

I couldn't afford that, so i went with the Z680's (decoder included)

I made my decision with some help from tom :)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20030108/index.html

I couldn't deceide between the Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 550 5.1 and the Logitec Z 680's. Again the fact that Cambridge believes speakers should be just that - speakers, not a home theatre, doesn't include a decoder either. right now compuplus has the z 680's for $235 + shipping.

Hope this helps.

that's $275.00 after ups ground shipping...and u have to wait two days before they ship it.:eek:

go to newegg.com..$280.00 gets you free 2 day fedex, and they ship the same day(if before noon)

mica

bleh i'm in CA so i have to pay taxes for newegg.....thanks for the opinions guys.

well, i just looked for the cheapest one to demonstrate the price you could get them for....

I ordered mine from pagecomputers for approx $260 shipped. I was lucky, there was a wharehouse 3 hours away from me. They came ups ground in 2 days :)

I had the Kilpsch, heard my buddies Altec 621's, and took the klipsch back. I really think the 641 is the best system made. I do a fair ammound of production, and the 641's get the job done, with prejudice!

I really love my Altec Lansing 641's, especially since I got them for UNDER $155 shipped about 3 months ago..... I can't find them anywhere under $219 now, I don't know what happened , but I'm extremely happy.. The dual 6 inch subwoofers are unbelievable---My wife's out right now so I can actually you these speakers as they were intended to be used-------LOUD---What? I said Loud!!!

i just got the klipsch 4.1 setup with an audigy 2. nothign rivals this sound these speakers are absolutely amazing. The soudn coming form these compared to my old creative 5.1 5200 and my sb live is just amazing there is such a adifference. these speakers were only 150 and they sound absolutely amazing i woudl recomend them to annyone

oppajer said:
hi guys, well first of all i'm running on the cambridge soundworks 4.1 right now. it's about 5 years old and i think it's time for an upgrade. i would really like to utilize the spdif out from my computer, but not sure which set of sound systems have spdif in. i've been to best buy a couple times and never saw the spdif in in any of their speakers, dunno why....but yah suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh yah i'm going to be using it to play music, games and watch DVD's. thanks again.

I'm in the exact same shoes -- I've used Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 for years and am looking for a set with SPDIF in. Right now I'm using my stereo receiver, which sounds great with Dolby Digital upconversion, but I would still like separate speakers for the computer.

for the best for your money logitech z560 is the bomb i bought mine for $147 total nothing can't beat it and it sounds like god
hope this helps

You could stick with Cambridge and get the 510D. Every review I've seen of them shows them kicking major ***.

Back