• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wtf??? Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

Just recently my modem sounded really really wierd. It made a high pitched sccreeching sound that lasted about 15secs then did its thing but still sounded funny. So, after hearing that i disconnected and redialed, this time it was worse and my connection speed is 4.2 Kbps :eek: yes, that is right 4.2 Kbps:mad:

does anyone know wtf might be goin on?

my modem now =
psycho.gif

It wasn just your modem connecting ? Cuz some whe nthey got the sound enabled on the h/w will make loud annoying noises.

well usually it goes beep eep doy ieep peep schuhhhh dee dup
now it whent beep eep doy ieep screeeeeeeaareeeearch screeeeeeeeeaaarrreeeeeeearch badonky do. "you are now connected at a ****in 4.2 Kbps!"

so it dials, but this time after dialing it made screeching ?

to me it sounds normal, i used dialup for over two years, mostly without being able to hear it connect because i had the sound disabled, but once i had it enabled i heard it connect then screech as it was probably transfering a lil bit of data.

But it has never done this before. and 4.2 kbps seems a little abnormal dosent it?

im gonna try disconnecting and reconnectiong and see what happens.

WOOOHOOOOO!!! I tried it and it worked perfectly!!!! im back at 49.8 Kbps!!!!! I now feel like i have more bandwidth than the entire world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably just a glitch in the phone lines somewhere.

Last weekend my ISP was having some sort of problem. Trying to connect, I'd here lots of screeching, then it would ping again, and finally just not connect. Many tries later, I might manage to connect, but it would be at 21.6, instead of my normal "blazing" 26.4 K.
With a connection as slow as mine, you can understand why any slowdown would be cause for concern.

But whatever the problem was, they got it fixed, and I'm back up to being almost as fast as a 28.8 modem!

This will sometimes happen on some modems and routers. Me and my friend both have a Linksys BEFSR41 router and whenever you reset the router it makes a loud beep noise when you turn it back on. The Diag led will light up red for like the first 2 or 3 seconds then goes back to normal. But it gets annoying so I only reset my router when I really have to lol....

well it cleared up for all this morning and then the "connection link failed" then I tried to reconnect then the samething. im now at 8.8 Kbps!
eek.gif
explode.gif

If you can, try it with another modem.. see if it's the modem.. if not, then it's either your ISP, or your phone service.

Back