• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which car has a good heater core for water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RideGuy

When I was searching for a heater core I found they range from $14 to $40, depending on the quality of the heater core, and the car it is for. This is quite a bit cheaper than any of the PC rads I have seen.

I am looking for something compact and efficient. What car should I choose it from?

Is there anything else I should know about using a car heater core over a rad made for PC water cooling?

The only advise I have is make shure you check that in and outlets. Make shure that they are the size you need them to be or how hard they will be to change them to a workable size.

all heater cores are good, u just gotta find one that fits in your case.
i was going to buy one from an autostore, but i didn't want to install the fittings and paint it.
d-tekcustoms.com has a good/cheap one for 30 something bucks which is 7x6x2 and barly fits in my case.

Wow, thanks for the quick responces! I found that most heater cores are around 7x6x2, but the inlets and outlets are of different sizes and go in different directions. I am going to call a local rad shop and ask them what the best heater core for this application is. I will post my results.

Ride

LOL... ya the car guys at those shops always respond well to those kinds of questions. :rolleyes:

The only questions they ever get about heatercores are "do you have a *year* *model* heatercore?"

86 chevy cheverlett is popular. i belive its 6 1/4 x 6 1/4 x 2 with barbs going out at the top. 90 degrees i get mine from autozone for about $23 and i desolder the barbs out and replace them wit brass. it is not difficult at all.

my rule of thumb is....

if the car at the junkyard has a heatercore, then it's the right heatercore for you.

i got mine for 5 bucks at the junkyard.

plus, it's SO MUCH FUN to tear apart a car to get at the heatercore!!!!

I found one that might work well. It's for a 76-87 Chevy Chevette. It's 6.125 x 6 x 2, 3/4 inlet and 5/8 outlet, and they come out of the top at 90 degrees. The price is $41 at a local supplier. THIS IS FREAKEN COOL! :cool:

Back