• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning wiht paint thinner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

would it be ok to clean your core with paint thinnner instead of nail polish remover. i dont have alot of nail polish crap laying around my house ;)

well if you were using nail polish remover and you are going to the hardware store to get paint thinner why not use acetone. it comes in drums beside the paint thinner and is the active ingredient in nail polish remover.

it will melt any plastic it comes in contact with though so be careful. dont know how safe it is but is ALOT more pure than nail polish remover

yeah i always thought that u were supposed to use rubbing alcohol......whats the difference between all the cleaners anyway?

Paint thinner will certainly work, but will also leave a residue on your Heatsink from all the petroleum products it contains...

Alcohol is ideal because it is cheap, easy to get and won't leave any nasty residue behind to foul your heatsinks cooling ability...

DAGO said:
Paint thinner will certainly work, but will also leave a residue on your Heatsink from all the petroleum products it contains...

Alcohol is ideal because it is cheap, easy to get and won't leave any nasty residue behind to foul your heatsinks cooling ability...

Right on. Those oils keep my Purdys nice and straight.

I use rubbing alcohol myself. When I saw the video about correctly applying AS3 and it mentioned you should use rubbing alcohol (or acetone, I don't remember which it recommended), I didn't think I'd be so lucky that my roommate would have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the dorm. So now my AS3 is applied correctly on my heatsinks. :)

Acetone cuts through grease, Arctic Silver 3, thermal pads, and just about anything else organic like you wouldn't believe. It took less than five minutes of scrubbing with acetone to get the melted-on phase change tape off the core of my CPU. It also evaporates quickly, and doesn't leave a residue.

Of course, it's also somewhat toxic (use in a well-ventilated area, and if you're paranoid, wear gloves), and will dissolve plastic quickly. There's a very nice partly-melted telephone at the lab where I used to work that was caused by a slow drip from a bottle of acetone.

Back