• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I make Windows Icons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, use something like photo shot to make then, the nfind a program that can conver .gif,jpeg etc... into .ico

thats it.

After a simple google search, I came up with lots of programs that you can download for simple Icon Editing.

Here's one of them:

http://www.aha-soft.com/

I've never tried it though, so if you don't like it, do another search.

OK, so it sounds like I just needed to know the proper file extension to convert the pics to? I have a couple of photo editing programs, just havent really used them much. I have photodraw, I think that should do it but I will have to check.

The thing I'd like to know how to do is how to actually embed the icon into the compiled exe file (like some programs do), as well as author info, date info, etc. -- Paul

you can use paint or anyrhing else and just make the image 36X36 or something.. use a JPG or BMP i think and MAYBE GIF... it might be 32X32 but that worked for me... at least in 98 but now i dont use iconse really lol Microangelo is good too:D

Thanks for the link, the one that I dl'ed is almost identical looking to that one. Its called Iconmaker, also shareware. I think that it lets you make 10 icons, then wants you to pony up $19.95

If you write your own programs, you use a ressource compiler and just link the ressources to the executable with your linker. The ressource compiler with the PSDK is called rc.exe and uses .rc-files which produces .res files (similar to .obj files)

If you have a binary and want to change the ressources there in, you can use tools like the Borland Ressource Workshop (came with Borland C++) or a commercial tool. there are one or two of those.

LCC might have one for free, didn´t check tho

Back