• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove thermal tape?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulus

Registered
Hey all. I just got in my Zalman heat pipe for my GeForce4, and I have a small problem.

I have the Thermal Take cooling kit on the card already, and it has passive ram sinks stuck to the board with thermal tape. It didn't seem that strong when I put it on, but after it's been baked on there for a while, it sure doesnt' wanna come off.

Is there a way to remove the thermal tape/sinks safely? I'm guessing isopropal alcohol should help do the trick, but I'm just not sure, and I'm definately not in the market for buying a new card if I screw this one up.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Isopropanol will work fine. Acetone is pretty good too. Wear gloves if you're using pure acetone though, it'll eat the oils in your skin. Second, I've heard that if you put it in the freezer for an hour or so and then try to take them off the tape will break easier.

Ok, thanks for the verification on the alcohol. The wife uses the acetone free nail polish remover, so I guess isopropal will have to do. Good idea on the freezer too - I woulad never thunk it! I'm guessing the microwave to melt the tape isn't a good idea? ;)

Just get that gum remover spray they use in movie theaters to remove gum off seats.

One blast, wait a few seconds, and it just snaps of. Or a heat gun will remove it real clean as well

Back