• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Chips...Which is "Better"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Purds

OK...I am upgrading the chip in my computer from a Celeron 800 to a Pentium 800...

my question is this...since I will have my Celeron 800 chip leftover, I was considering using it in my girlfriends laptop, a Compaq Pentium 500...

can anyone tell me if the Celeron is actually an upgrade to the Pentium 500 and if anyone knows if these two chips are compatible?

thanx for your help...

if you are taking a chip out of a laptop and putting it into a ATX system, well i think thats impossible. im not sure aobut laptop to laptop for those chips, but i doubt it, ill get to that in a sec. If by mobile chips you mean the ability to move chips between computers, then forget all my laptop talk above. This will not work, even tho the celeron @800 would be better than a pentium @ 500 IMO. Heres why it wouldnt work, the 800 mhz chip uses a different interface to the motherboard, it would use socket 370, where the 500 mhz uses slot 1. you may be able to use something called a slotket, but i cant be of much help there.

sorry, this is laptop to laptop...

you are sure that the mobile PCUs interface differently and cant be swapped? I know for sure that the Celeron and Pentium will swap without issues, but was wondering about the Pentium to Celeron in her Compaq...

if its not doable then I guess its not really an issue as to which performs better...

thanx...

Back