• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3070 dead...what card is next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi all,
My beloved 3070, procured in 2020 during the great GPU drought has died. I feel a genuine loss here as it was like winning the lottery when I got it and still held up really well. Which leads me to the question...what do I replace it with?

Factors:
  • case size: 12 inches is my comfort zone
  • Cost: $800 to $1000 CAD is my comfort zone. I could be convinced to spend more if it was a logical upgrade
  • Contenders : 3070 ti or a 4070 - reviews for the 4070 tend to be full of derision

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Much thanks!

edit: I should clarify, I spilt tea on my pc.
  • The PC immediately turned off
  • I waited 25 hours for it to dry
  • cleaned it, checked all the connections.
  • It turns on, but no post. I assume the video card is shot
  • No error beeps/light code when I turn it on
I am taking it in for diagnostic as I do not have a spare vid card to test it. Im being proactive and thinking I will need a new video card, at worse, need to to replace a few parts.

Last edited:
Is it no longer under warranty?
I should clarify, I spilt tea on my pc. The PC immediately turned off, I waited 25 hours for it to dry. cleaned it, checked all the connections. It turns on, but no post. I assume the video card is shot. I am taking it in for diagnostic as I do not have a spare vid card to test it. Im being proactive and thinking I will need a new video card, at worse, need to to replace a few parts. also....no warning beeps indicating errors when I turn it on.

Go with the 4070 Ti at $700 (Best buy)....(Higher versions $800+) . I have a couple Gigabyte eagles.... quiet and relatively cool. I miss the RGB bling tho.

Also heads up...Tell folks you spilt beer or coffee not tea...Not being judgmental or anything.....but adds credence to the whole just working my *** off credo....where tea seems like you were at a party... :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
Oh...I did not get much feedback so I ended up getting a Gigabyte Eagle too! It was the most affordable of all the 4070's. Here in Canada, $200+ cheaper than all others.

It was the last one in stock, and not sure if my 3070 was working I made a hasty decision to buy it. Turns out, my 3070 is actually ok but I like the 4070 ti so much im keeping it and the 3070 is now my back up in case I need it.

For the record, given all the liquid damage to my PC, only one stick of Ram was not working.....thats a huge relief!!

Go with the 4070 Ti at $700 (Best buy)....(Higher versions $800+) . I have a couple Gigabyte eagles.... quiet and relatively cool. I miss the RGB bling tho.

Also heads up...Tell folks you spilt beer or coffee not tea...Not being judgmental or anything.....but adds credence to the whole just working my *** off credo....where tea seems like you were at a party... :beer: :beer:
Beer is for parties and Tea is for people who don't drink coffee.

any update on what is dead? honestly with prices i would still look at second hand GPU's. other wise check out this guy's discord, not sure where he is located but has had great luck fixing gpus.

https://discord.com/channels/1005743476790546442/1068824924585734234

i am not friends with or know this guy personally. watching his videos just makes me go we should fix the broken ones. i mean think of the parts out there that might need a resistor or voltage regulator. granted not everyone that can repair things can do SMD work or know how to back trace power/signal lines. getting people to buy new cards is nice for the company, its bad for pile up of "dead" cards. i do believe he is doing a great service, i may not agree with the prices for the cards he puts on ebay. he does need to fund buying the parts needed to fix other cards for the practically lost cause he does for people. one of his videos he transplants a GPU from one card to another, the card as cracked bad enough or some else happened the pcb was bad enough he could not fix it. the other card had a perfect pcb but cracked gpu die, so yea that kind of work to upcycle if you will or "salvage" is really what we need atm. given the rest of how things are going in the pc market for gpu's.

My issue is, this is a work PC and I needed it working ASAP, the laptop was not cutting it for productivity. Otherwise, sure, I can get the card RMA'd or repaired if I had the time.

long story short: The liquid damaged one stick of memory and seemed to affect the USB ports. So the 3070 was ok but since I suspected it was not gonna work, I bought a 4070 on sale, and was gonna return it if the 3070 was ok (limited window to purchase this so bought it). I ended up installing the 4070 and liked it so much im keeping the 3070 as a back up. Despite the poor reviews of the 4070, its actually a very good card...its the price that sucks.

Back