• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB 400 support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ir0nman

Anyone else here that Abit is going to release bios's that support 400 FSB for all revisions, but Asus is still looking like they want everyone to get the Rev 2.0. Does this really really make any one else :mad: :mad: I want 400FSB support they have the same hardware, I thing they really had to screw this board up if they can't get all revisions to 400 compatibility. What are your thoughts?

Thats what I was wondering. I mean I thought that the hardware between rev 1.04 and 2.00 would have been pretty much the same. After I heard that I couldnt support 400Mhz its like a slap in the face.
I wonder if Asus has a a way of fixing this? Does anybody have any insight?
Maybe its time for a timely RMA.

I wonder what the main reason for the new Rev was. That basically means that were working with ticking time bombs.

I was pretty mad abou it before, and was planning an RMA, but I could still sort of understand if it was a hardware problem, but when ABIT just said that they are supporting it fully, that makes it a bit more extreme to me. I bought this hoping for support for the new Barton.

trdsw20 said:
Thats what I was wondering. I mean I thought that the hardware between rev 1.04 and 2.00 would have been pretty much the same.

I wonder what the main reason for the new Rev was. That basically means that were working with ticking time bombs.

The big difference with the rev 2.0 is the new chipset revision/stepping that allows higher sync dual channel FSB speeds using the same chipset voltage (~ 1.6)

.WAG on

The early ABITs have adjustable chipset voltage and active NB cooling. Perhaps ABIT will just bump up the chipset voltage settings to MAKE the older A2/A3 chips consistently support 200/400 FSB. It'll run hotter, but there is the active nb cooler.

The ASUS has a hidden chipset voltage setting in the BIOS, but it does nothing for rev 1.04 boards, probably because the hardware or implementation of the hardware won't support it.

.WAG off :)

I talked to Asus today, and there are absolutely no plans to give earlier revisions 400 FSB support, so we got the shaft guys. I am waiting until summer, and then Abit here I come.

cbakey said:
With a rev 1.04 board is there any way to force it to do 400 mhz? ex. mobo mods?

AFAIK, there are two ways to do it, using three different solder/grabber contact points.

Method 1 (local forum sticky)

Method 2

I used method 2. Took my board from ~200 FSB to 210, sync dual channel. I stopped at 1.8v vdd. IMO, this vdd mod isn't as easy to do (using solder anyway) compared to similar mod on EPoX 8RDA+ or Abit NF7-S. The solder targets are quite small.

well method #3 use a lead pencil on your r628 res
#1 mesure the resistance of r628(with your comp turn off)
#2 write down resistance
#3 with an hb or softer lead pencil rub the top of the res 3 to 5 time
#4 remesure resistance on r628 ,now if your vdd before the trick was like 1.59-1.60 and you had a resistance reading of 100-101 and that buy rubbing the res with you lead pencil you now have a reading of 95-96 your vdd should now be arround 1.65-1.68 but go slowly and check your vdd with the test point
until now i havent heard of anybody going over the 1.77v mark yet with this method but you better check each time then to be sorry

Ir0nman said:
I talked to Asus today, and there are absolutely no plans to give earlier revisions 400 FSB support, so we got the shaft guys. I am waiting until summer, and then Abit here I come.

Im passing my board to my little brother and Ill join you in Abit country.

blah blah blah Use a pencil, grease, toothpick, small-orbital-ohm-nuggets-with-purple-hairs:D

What we never get is DDR433+ support.

Just Venting,

Rob

Last edited:
kraze98nyc said:
blah blah blah Use a pencil, grease, toothpick, small-orbital-ohm-nuggets-with-purple-hairs:D

What we never get is DDR433+ support.

Just Venting,

Rob
man i tried your thing with the grease and pencil and well how can i say my board does not work anymore any sugestion do you think the grease might have fryed my board:D

oh and i wasnt able to find a small-orbital-ohm-nuggets-with-purple-hairs:D

i agree, my old a7n8x with a A2 chip would do 225 fsb with 1.85 chip volts, my new a7n8x with a A3 chip, wont do over 195 fsb with out rebooting no matter what volts i run threw it.
all these new revisions are BULL **** im my opinon. it really ****es me of my motherboard dies, and with in the 1 week it took me to get a new MB the new 2.0s comeout. when will this stop??? revisons are ONLY to fix problems, well WTF now im stuck with a PROBLEM revision. and ASUS seems to be trying to forget about us 1.4 and 1.6 users. im shure within a few months they will stop bios revisions for the older boards.
FROM NOW ON ABIT GETS MY SUPPORT (not that there much better)

There was an article in the inquirer about the lack of FSB 400 support on the older Asus boards. So maybe us 1.04 and 1.06 users will finally get some attention. Abit might not be much better, but at least they are doing something for their customers. Asus just ignores us.

Burnt_Ram said:
thx guys ! appreciate it...
seems i have a rev 1.04, now i have a question. why can some people with rev 04,06 get 400 fsb and more ? i cant get mine above 175 stable. im sure my ram has something to do with it, but after all it is DDR 400 ? fricken asus. not impressed. i'm assuming that all us old revision owners are hooped ?

Last edited:
Back