• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
we recently got Caller ID in my house

would it be possible to take and old junker pc + a voice modem and make it into an answering machine

with differnt voice boxes and flash the callers number on the screen ( or even mabey say it out loud)

wanting to try this let me know

It would most likely involve ripping appart a old caller id and studdying it VERY carefully, both hardware and software.. if you could even find someway to interface..

that is what my compaq at home does. it uses a program called ezvoice. it's free too :) you just need a voice modem and a win95/win98/winme os.

http://download.com.com/3000-2064-6745699.html?tag=lst-0-1

i have tried it on win2k and winxp and it doesn't work properly.

*edit: it looks like they have started to charge for it after the first 15 days... lucky me i got a copy downloaded when it was still freeware, but it works great... it has caller id and fully customizable voicemail with multiple mailboxes and external access via pin number to check messages when you're gone*

The modem can't necessarily be just on old one you have lying around, it needs to support caller ID, then it probably would have that feature in software to display an incoming number. I believe USR icludes this.

mbentley said:
that is what my compaq at home does. it uses a program called ezvoice. it's free too :) you just need a voice modem and a win95/win98/winme os.

http://download.com.com/3000-2064-6745699.html?tag=lst-0-1

i have tried it on win2k and winxp and it doesn't work properly.

*edit: it looks like they have started to charge for it after the first 15 days... lucky me i got a copy downloaded when it was still freeware, but it works great... it has caller id and fully customizable voicemail with multiple mailboxes and external access via pin number to check messages when you're gone*

Well..uh..of course! If you want to do it the EASY way... :rolleyes: ;) :p :p
psycho.gif

Back