• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 bottom line, what do they really cost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

This may be a little of topic , but ive always wondered what kinda profit a good size reseller like newegg makes on their processors?Does anyone know?

A friend at a local retailer near me said they make about $5-20 on processors, Intel and AMD. They tend to run close to online prices like $200 for a 2.4b when it could be had at Newegg for $190.

i would bet its more that $5.00 per chip, when they give nice price breaks on 1000 chips. they have the buying power, and selling power to do this. there is a nice mark up on the chips, and the peeps, us, but them alot, so the profit is nice.

to answer your question, i dont really know, but it is definately something, and i would suspect more that $5.00 per chip.;)

lol I have misunderstood...

I think it should be around $25 to $50...

but for local stores, that's another story...

this time last year, a retail box 1.8A northwood was $164 at newegg, while CompUSA charge $280 for the same thing...

Last edited:
I would think they make at least 25-50 bucks, depending upon the speed etc.. cause unless your selling thousands a month it aint worth your while at 5-10 bucks a pop... my brother is a distiributor-reseller for industrial chemicals and equipment .with all the overhead etc. he wont touch a transaction unless its at least a 35-40 percent profit.. alot of his sales are at double what he pays...

Its gotta be like $50 and up. You can get processors through IPD for like $50-$100 less than retailers.

Im half tempted to get my brother to apply for an intel dist-reseller from one of the big intel resellers just to see what the cpus really cost

Its not $/chip itd percentage above cost. A business has to make a certain percentage to remain open. They HAVE to cover their overhead wich includes payroll etc. I would guess they have to make 20% just to stay open. a $100.00 chip would cost them $80.00. Retail stores mark up 100% to 400% depending on the item. A friend at the local mall marks up as a minimum 120%. So they can stay in business.

Most computer retailers, Newegg and CompUSA inclusive, usually sell products like cpus, hard drives, and printers on very low margins (i.e. little profit). But they're assuming that consumers will waste their money on products like periperals, cables, blank discs, etc. These are very high margin products (e.g. a $24 printer cable at CompUSA costs them about $2) and that's where they make most of their money.

To actually make the chip, it probably costs $10. Then intel jacks the price up because of its advertising, etc so now its $25. Since the chip just came out, lets put it up to $40. My guess is theyre not more than $40 when they leave intel and less than $10 to actually make them.

metra said:
To actually make the chip, it probably costs $10.

It costs more than that. You have to factor in the capital cost of a $3 billion fab and the army of engineers needed to develop the chip. CPUs can cost anywhere from $20 to $500+ to make, depending on the amount made, the "newness" of the chip, and the amount of testing and validation.

Back