• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

#8 and 2 Billion for.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
.... we'll get to that later. @travis4sutton

Oh what the heck am I waiting for? As you already guessed, Travis4Sutton just earned 2 billion. Great guess by the way for guessing that it was Travis4Sutton. Please reach out and congratulate him. "WOOT"s to come later.

The big new as spotted by Holdolin is that our friends at EPFL IC-IT have wained in their production. Several theories include the cost of electricity. Holdolin notes that the ppd/watt of a Pi cluster is higher than that of 4090's of equivilant folding power. An interesting thought exercise for sure. As it stands, we will take the #8 spot sometime Monday from PCMR and EPFL is many months from taking that spot from us. That is, if they ever do. Producing over 2 billion points a day is awesome but we have earned many points over many years which makes us a tough target. We wish EPFL the best but you gotta do more to catch us. Also of note, Every team ahead of us was once behind us. Sure, they earned the spots that they are in but we are clawing those spots back. Why? "Why" you ask? Because that is who we are. We are steady and we are strong. We have enough heavy hitters to keep us in the game with a smaller production team. Keep it up guys. Keep folding.

On the world front, EPFL is still coming at us but their current ETA is over 9 months and growing larger. Meaning that they are slowing at the time of this writing. We are chasing PCMR in 2.7 days. Hardware.no will be our next target in 5.5 months. Like us, they are slowing but their trend line is steeper than ours. This is what we need to dispatch them to #8 as we take over #7. Then we have NVIDIA in 2.3 years. I mean... between them and EVGA, what could we do. They had the power that we couldn't even buy when we were holding our money and telling them to "Shut up and take my money." They didn't and we had card scalpers and low supply and got stuck with LHR cards and on and on and on. NVIDIA is trending up while EVGA is trending down fairly sharply. I feel that EVGA may have taken a chuck of power out of production. "This is the way." (Guess what show I just finished watching?) So #9 today and #8 in less than 3 days. Feel proud boys (and girls but all gender mentions are to be all inclusive.).

@HayesK _ALL is #32
@WhitehawkEQ is #36
@torin3 is #74
@dfonda is #88
@Holdolin is #99. WOOT! It's official. He is in the top 100 in the world!

Bonus mention:
HayesK_GRC is #131.

The team is going through the tough time we call summer. We are down to 43 active folders which makes me sad. Is that what you want? To see me sad? Like all curled up in a ball and crying sad? I tell ya, my boss is getting tired of having to chase me out from under my desk. The average ppd for the team is 11.5 million per active folder. I mean... yes. That is higher than before but EPFL has an average of about 2 billion ppd per user. Now that is much easier to do with only 3 active members but it means that if the top folder stops folding, they are near 0 ppd. We don't want to trade higher team ave ppd if that means fewer active folders. Folding below average is still useful and helpful and... let's be clear, wanted. We want whatever you can produce. It makes us stronger.

@travis4sutton has earned 2 BILLION! WOOT! In case you weren't aware.
Raymond Abbott (What is your forum name?) has earned 700 million.
Vamp (What is your forum name?) has earned 40 million.

Much appreciated.

We are still stuck on how to get data from Stanford so that we can maintain our own DB of folding stats. If you have any clue as to how that is done, please please please help us out. This project could really be a huge boon to us. Bringing in traffic that could potentially move them to fold with us. If you know how to get data like that, please step up. We just need a push to get started. We need your help.

That's all I got for now. Keep an eye on the stats, especially on Monday perhaps late in the day to watch us take the #8 spot. Exciting times. WOOT WOOT!

Last edited:
@travis4sutton WOOOT!! WTF hoss :cheers:

Also, I too would not want to trade a higher avg PPD for lower team count. It always brings a smile to my face seeing all of you doing what you can. If y'all aint notice I enjoy the community we have which comes from having several active folks at it. The fact we actually interact with each other is like icing on the cake for me.

As far as EPFL is concerned I'm not worried about them much. I think you might be right Don, and they are using it as a teaching/training platform based on just how erratic their numbers are. As we have seen in the past, there have been teams or even single users packing tons of heat but just go the way of the dinosaur.

It's our consistency that has us where we are, thanks to each and every one of you. Y'all really do rock out loud

@Holdolin . Your post reminded me that I can tag our members. So.... tag. You're it! The only thing I need to know is: Am I winning at tag? I feel like I am. I'm a big damn winner or is that whiner. Either way I'm big now. Big and damn. Whatever that is, it had better be good. Big and damn.

Haha, the funny thing is I didn't even think about it. Last night actually ended this morning so I was/am just getting up. After tagging enough folks in Discord it's become almost habit. Kinda ironic as when it was new I had little use for it. Heck, I still don't think it's the 'answer to all things' platform but it does have it's up. Proper tool for the job.

Anyway, yep you're winning Don. You got the last tag in (y)

Most of my folding hosts are in a single bedroom with a window A/C. Currently have 23 GPU folding in that bedroom, with 8 more GPU folding elsewhere in the house. Started with a 5K years ago, then a 12K, followed by a 10K, which was just replaced last Saturday with another 12K.. All the old A/C still ran, but did not cool as well as when new. Not sure if the life cycle is primary influenced by 24/7 operation or the power company "blips" and outages, but seem to only last a few years.

I did "oversize" the unit at 12k because even though the room is small the delta-T is large!

If I'm still in this house at the end of the lifecycle of this window unit/plan to be long-term, I'll probably go with a mini-split. I haven't priced those out yet, but at ~$500 for a 12k high-efficiency window unit with no labor to install, the capacity and efficiency of the mini-split would need to be much better for it to make sense...presuming I"m also not here long enough to kill 2 of them!

Back