• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

everybody is dumping WD Se 8mb Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

Everywhere you go you can get the 120gb for way less than a hundred bucks. The price is with rebate which probably means the manufactureer is helping its vendors dump soon to be discontinued product. Does anybody else get the feeling that they the raptor drives are going to be dropping in price and jumping in capacity soon or what.

Even if they don't drop the prices all that much, the 5-year warranty makes them mighty tempting ... :) -- Paul

they will follow scsi drives in size and close in price.
basically it has scsi platters thats how they get the 10,000 rpms.
18,36,73,147 is the sizes cuttent scsi drives use.

with these being half the scsi price and faster than ide drives its gonna be a no brainer to people who dont mind spending a few extra bucks for more speed.

mycotopian said:
Everywhere you go you can get the 120gb for way less than a hundred bucks. The price is with rebate which probably means the manufactureer is helping its vendors dump soon to be discontinued product. Does anybody else get the feeling that they the raptor drives are going to be dropping in price and jumping in capacity soon or what.

There are new Caviar drives coming onto the market now. They use 80GB platters (vs. 60 for the last run of the old Caviar models) and have a tweak to the firmware, but those are the only substantial differences. The performace is nearly identical compared to the old models.

WD is running big rebates on the old Caviar's, including the 8MB SE models to clear room for the new models, as you suspected. With nearly identical performance to the new Caviars, I think the rebates make the old drives one of the best buys in computer hardware in the last couple of years.

I don't think you'll see similar rebates or price cuts on the Raptor anytime soon. (As in through the end of 2003.) This is a current generation drive at an early phase in its life cycle. If WD fails to sell the Raptor to server manufacturers you might see the price fall as it is repositioned as a high-end enthusiast drive, but that's the only way I see the price coming down in the immediate future.

I'm much more confident about a jump in capacity before the end of the year.

BHD

Back