• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How was your experience with WD 7200 rpm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edge386

I JUST got a Western Digital 120gb (8mb cache) Harddrive today for $80.00!!! Well, it was $120 but with a mail in rebate for 40 smackeroos. My question is this though, has anyone had any bad/good experiences with the 8mb WD drives? Are they way too loud or what because I dont understand why Seagate is charging the same price for their 80gb drives....hmmmm...any info and experience stories would help, thanks for any input.

I'm using one right now, and I'm VERY happy with it; the extra 6 meg of cache DO make a difference, just not until you really need it ;)

For example, today, I copied 26 gigs from my 120 (8MB cache) to my Raptor (also 8MB cache), it took ~15 minutes. Later on, I copied 14 gigs from my 2MB cache Seagate to my 8MB cache 120GB, and it took ~1hr 20 mins. Big difference, I bet that the copy time for the 2MB drive would be less if I were copying FROM the 8MB drive, rather than to it.

I have had my 120 for about 6 months, no problems, it's very quiet in my system (at least, I can't hear it over my Torin). It does get a bit toasty, but that's nothing a fan can't handle. I highly recommend replacing all your 2MB drives with 8MB drives, if you can. Oh yeah, put Windows on the 8MB drive, things will go much quicker.

I'll second that, the WD 8mb drives are very good units. I'm using several 120gb units right now and haven't had cause to complain about any of them.

I think Seagate charges more for their Barracuda drives partly because they have Fluid Dynamic Bearings in them. A Seagate drive with FDB will run a lot cooler and quieter than a comparable WD drive. If you are going to be stacking WD drives then I also highly recommend setting a fan to blow over them. It doesn't have to be moving much CFM, but a little air will definitely help. The drives are rated to take the temps, but just about anything will last longer if you keep it cool.

Personally, I hope WD releases FDB models of their P-ATA drives and doesn't just implement it on their SATA drives. A FDB JB drive would rock :D

Fulkren

Good to hear good things about this harddrive because now I wont smash it with a sledge hammer :) I tried to install it and its not getting detected by any setting whatsoever, I tried Cable select on both my harddrives, then master and slave, nothing. to top it all off my computer started freezing when i clocked it back down to default settings so i cleared CMOS and everything started working, thank god because I almost had a heart attack, anyone have any ideas why windows or my mobo isnt detecting the new drive? Im thinking of trying to format it on my other computer to see if it can detect it on that one.

edit: I had the drive unhooked before and i hooked it back up again, now I get this "CPU is unworkable or has changed" when i boot up and i have to press f1 to boot, and i havent been getting any sound either, lol whats my problem???

Last edited:
Im titling a new thread called WD1200JB wont detect, I see many other people have had this problem and this thread title wont work for my new problem, so if you have any advice please post in my new thread titled "WD1200JB wont detect" to save space and not waste posts, I will not be checking back up on this thread, thank you.

edit: here is the link for the continuance of this topic:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290351

Last edited:
Back