• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080p PC Gaming on a 4K HDTV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeK

Registered
I'm going to be investing in a new HDTV for my gaming PC. I currently use a 50" Plasma but I would like something bigger. I plan to go with a 60-65" LED HDTV and I plan to game using 1080p resolution regardless of whether I purchase a 4K HDTV or a 1080p HDTV.
The question I have is if I chose to go with a 4K HDTV will look any better than a 1080p HDTV in terms of clarity, sharpness, color vibrancy, etc? Will the 4K HDTV offer the same visual experience as maybe a 1080p monitor but just in a bigger package?
Thanks in advance.

CASE:*NZXT*Phantom*PHAN-001WT*Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast*ATX*Full Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel i5 4690K*3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: MSI*GTX 970*
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MEMORY:*G.SKILL*Ripjaws*X Series*8GB DDR3
SSD:*Intel 535 240GB SATA III (OS/Programs)
SSD 2:*Intel 520*120GB SATA III (Games)
HDD 1:*Western Digital 2TB*7200 RPM (Media)
HDD 2:*Western Digital 1TB*7200 RPM (Games)
HDD 3:*Western Digital 500GB*7200 RPM (BackUp)
OPTICAL DRIVE:*SONY Black*Blu-ray Burner 12X
PSU:*Antec*High Current Gamer Series 900W
DISPLAY: Panasonic 50"*Plasma 1080p HDTV
NETWORK ADAPTER: TP-LINK Dual Band N900
FANS:*140MM*(x1),*120MM*(x3),*200MM*(x2)
KEYBOARD:*Logitech*G13 & Logitech Bluetooth*Illuminated*Keyboard K810
MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic Chroma
HEADSET: Logitech*G930

In short... No.

1080 is 1080. You may be losing FPS though. Be very careful if you buy 4K TV's right now.
Most are 30 FPS and input lag can be unplayable.

I honestly do not see the point in 4K television at this point. There is almost 0 content for it. Truth be told there is very little 1080 content. Pretty much all HD tv signals ate 720.

Thank you. I'll stick with a 1080p HDTV then.

I agree with the others, if you have 4K content for your TV then that's one thing, so little content is available at that resolution at this point I don't see a purpose for at least another few years when hopefully additional shows/movies/etc will be filmed and released at that high of a resolution (and media players/bluray players/etc are more capable of handling it as well).

If you had planned to play games at 4K (and you'd need a better video card than a 970 sadly to do so) then it would be a different discussion as long as the TV itself had a high enough (60hz) refresh rate and a decent/fast input lag.

The Seiki 4K also works as a 1080p, 120Hz display. They use MVA panels, not TN.

I wouldn't recommend 1080p for anything larger than 25" or so. It just looks really pixellated bigger than that.

The "not much content" argument is quickly falling apart now that the new iPhones have 4K cameras.

You'll be surprised. While quality content is only a small fraction of everything uploaded to Youtube, a small percentage of an awful lot is still a lot. Besides, 4K is an integral multiple of 1080p and 720p so upscaling is much easier to do. (The latter doesn't matter much for PC use since modern GPUs do very well scaling by nonintegral factors, but it's something to consider for standalone media players.)

The only reason to buy a 1080p display (bigger than 25" or so) or camera nowadays is if you can get one for extra cheap.

Upscaling? You are validating a 4K tv by touting upscaling?

It is the same as the 240htz tvs (and most 120). It just duplicates information that is already there.

Buy a 4K for youtube?

That is just bad advice no matter how you look at it.

It's more about future proofing. We're already at the point where 4K is becoming mainstream. Besides, who actually wants a pixellated screen? It might be fine for moving content, but it would definitely stick out on the desktop.

So what about if I decided to go with a 60" 4K HDTV strictly for PC gaming at 1440p resolution? I'm also considering picking up a GTX-980ti as well to compliment it.
Thoughts?

Best to run at a display's native resolution. No way I'd buy a TV with the intention of running a res other than native.

Future proofing when it costs you more and you won't be using it is silly. By the time you will need a 4K TV they will be as inexpensive as quality 1080p screens now.

Unfortunately I support both sides of this argument. For years I ran a 1080P TV while the majority of my content was limited to 720P. With built in dynamic contrasts you can edge out alot of the proposed deficiencies of running a display higher resolution than the content being sent to it. However, I will still say that I think investing in a 4K set right now is a bit premature. The technology has a way to come before I'd spend my own money on one. Ive had my eye on 4K displays for about 2 years now, and I suspect it will be another year at least before I am willing to throw down on one. Nonetheless its your money, and if you really want to spend on a display now and back it up with hardware and content later I wont say your making a mistake.

Back