• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install Display Driver 780ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi.

I have an old PC I use for non-gaming. It has a 780ti. It worked great for years. Today it still works but only in 1080p. Speccy says:

Monitor
Name Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Current Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Work Resolution 1024x728 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1024
Monitor Height 768
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 64 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Device ID 10DE-100A
Revision A2
Subvendor MSI (1462)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Technology 28 nm
Driver version 26.21.14.4614
Count of performance levels : 1
Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

I have downloaded GEforce experience and reinstalled drivers - no luck
I have reinstalled windows - no luck
I have tested the monitor with a different computer - works fine so I doubt it's the monitor.

I cannot launch "nvidia control panel" - it exists on the PC but won't launch
GEForce experience will launch but just lets me go through the driver reinstall again (have done 5x)
When I go to task manager "performance" there is no GPU option to click on
In "device manager" the display adapter has the caution or error sign on it.

Sort of at my wits end - is my graphics card just boned? It's pretty ancient.

Any ideas?

Other system stuff

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 @ 3.30GHz 39 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 804MHz (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO (LGA1155) 34 °C
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1024x768@64Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (MSI)
Storage
465GB Crucial CT500BX100SSD1 ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 32 °C
1863GB Seagate ST32000641AS ATA Device (SATA ) 42 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0 ATA Device (SATA ) 39 °C
3726GB Seagate BUP Fast HDD USB Device (USB (SATA) ) 43 °C
Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-217L ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

So let's gain some clarity here. You're saying the video card still works but only in 1080p. It will not display an image on the monitor you list, which does not have the ability to go beyond 1024x768. Is this correct?

And when you download driver from Nvidia and try to execute the install it doesn't work. Correct?

Before you tried to download and install the Nvidia drivers, did Windows install a driver for the video card? Did you check Device manager for an installed driver before downloading and trying to install the driver from Nvidia? I would think Windows 10 would have a native driver for a video card that old. And you should be able to choose the correct resolution for the display from Windows Display settings.

Last edited:
So let's gain some clarity here. You're saying the video card still works but only in 1080p. It will not display an image on the monitor you list, which does not have the ability to go beyond 1024x768. Is this correct?

And when you download driver from Nvidia and try to execute the install it doesn't work. Correct?

Before you tried to download and install the Nvidia drivers, did Windows install a driver for the video card? Did you check Device manager for an installed driver before downloading and trying to install the driver from Nvidia? I would think Windows 10 would have a native driver for a video card that old. And you should be able to choose the correct resolution for the display from Windows Display settings.

It will display an image on the monitor, but only 1080p controlled from windows display app.

I have made some progress, when digging into the card via device manager I get error 43.

I can’t choose anything more than 1080p from windows display settings. I apparently need to prevent windows from installing the windows driver prior to installing the nvidia driver. I’m trying to do that

Trying this process

https://www.windowstechit.com/18752/fix-nvidia-graphics-card-error-code-43/amp/

Can’t seem to solve it

The driver version is 26.21.14.3200 which apparently windows update installs and I think it’s causing the problem

Currently have removed the drivers with DDU and am trying to manually install the NVIDIA. I managed to install Nvidia 446 but after restarting it is gone and driver 262.21.14.4614 is back and I have the same problem

Of note when I nuke that driver the monitor clears up immediately (it has some streaky lines) but is still stuck in 1080p

Last edited:
I use Geforce Experience and a new driver came out yesterday and the program refused to download it giving only error messages after several tries. I have always had problems trying to install drivers with Geforce Experience. So this may not be a problem with your machine or only your machine. Check and see if other are also having problems, I am.

Using Windows 7.

Last edited:
Sounds like a buggy or corrupted Windows driver coming from Microsoft updates.

What about uninstalling the Windows driver once again and installing the Nvdia driver before rebooting, as you have already tried. But before rebooting, go into Windows settings and disable Windows updates. You can pause updates for like up to 35 days at a time under the Advanced option. This should prevent Windows from overwriting your Nvidia driver. Perhaps at a later date Microsoft will have corrected the issue.

Another option after Windows updates overwrites the Nvidia driver might be to roll back the driver to the one previously installed. Of course, you would need to do this after every restart.

Last edited:
Ok here is an update.

I can install NVIDIA drivers (26.21.14.4614) - however if I do I cannot change the resolution, still locked at 1080p and I still get the error 43 message on the card and there are artifacts on the screen.

If I rollback the driver I get Microsoft driver 10.0.18362.1

I did disable Windows updates

with the Nvidia driver there are artifacts all over the screen, without it on the MS driver there are no artifacts (but I can only get it to 1080p in display app)

Some other tidbits - I can't uninstall/delete NVIDIA Physx - gives me an error when I try.

I just want the damn thing to be in 3440p.

I'm strating to think I just need another video card so I may just buy a cheap one.

Finally, there is an app called Nvidia control panel, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but i cannot get it to run, it launches but nothing happens

What say you guys?

Final comment: I found an example of a guy with this problem who had a 7800 ti as well just got an old windows 8 driver and it solved his issue so Installed 331.65 Nvidia drivers and it worked for him - but it didnt for me

I guess my card is just shot so i'll go buy some entry level card unless you guys have more ideas

Last edited:
Picking up a cheap card seems like the reasonable thing to do.

I remember having a difficult time uninstalling Nvidia Physx recently. I think I had to resort to using the free version of Revo Uninstaller: https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/ and selecting the extreme option. It's not called extreme but I can't remember what the most intense level option was called in Revo. Anyway, in Revo you have to manually uninstall all references to Nivida in the Registry if I recall.

You can also try DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Thanks. Ddu doesn’t work. I think I may just buy a laptop since they are so cheap these days

Solved

Solved:

Bad card. I borrowed a card from work, which was a fancy Quadro M5000 Card.

Very strange card in that the 6 pin Power port is in the back not the normal side so I had to stick the power cord through a hole in the drive cage (barely)

Thanks for all the help, I guess I should have just tried the obvious initially

Will go get a low end card form the shop.

Well I’m an inveterate re-user and this computer is just for email and work stuff and investments and photos etc. so since everything else works fine I’ll just buy a 100 dollar video card or a used one since I’ve defined the problem

Thanks again

Back